Two different power sources in 1 control cabinet

I thought the wire code had to do with the voltage not if it was always energized.

name the five colors associated with a 120/280V Y three phase panel - red, blue, black, green, white neutral

name the five colors associated with a 277/480V Y three phase panel - brown, orange, yellow, green, gray neutral

From NFPA 79:

The color ORANGE shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnecting means is in the off position. This color identification shall be strictly reserved for this application only.

You can use just plain orange, but most people include the red / blue stripe so you know if it is AC or DC voltage.

Thanks for all the information!

@Rson I will buy the orange / red stripe wire and orange/blue wire, that seems like a very good idea. Then I'll add two more disconnects outside the machine, one for 120V and the other for the 480V and add all the necessary stickers.

Thanks,

Van,

is this your color standard or is there a code for these colors?

By the way, green doesn't always mean ground !
no, i'm not joking. my previous plant used green as 120 volt output wire because it was all they had on the weekend to get a machine running.
No, the wire did not get replaced. I found that out the hard way and lost the battle to replace the wire when I brought it up to the engineering manager.
it has been running for years and no one has complained yet was his answer.

james

Um, maybe its a site(s) standard but it was used all over Washington, Oregon and Montana (Don't remember about Idaho). Then again Rson busted out the NFPA.

That story on the gnd not being green kind of annoys me, that's just laziness to fix the wiring. Then I feel most engineering managers are Mechanical Engineers. (Yep, low key knocking on MEs)

From NFPA 79:

The color ORANGE shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnecting means is in the off position. This color identification shall be strictly reserved for this application only.

You can use just plain orange, but most people include the red / blue stripe so you know if it is AC or DC voltage.

Good info, I'll have to dig around on where the wiring code came from. I've seen it across multiple states in the PNW.

Um, maybe its a site(s) standard but it was used all over Washington, Oregon and Montana (Don't remember about Idaho). Then again Rson busted out the NFPA.

That story on the gnd not being green kind of annoys me, that's just laziness to fix the wiring. Then I feel most engineering managers are Mechanical Engineers. (Yep, low key knocking on MEs)

Good info, I'll have to dig around on where the wiring code came from. I've seen it across multiple states in the PNW.

The wire colors you mention are code outside of a panel (NFPA 70). The inside of a control panel is covered by NFPA 79