RSlogix5

Just I defend people here charging $ for their work. Yes.

I'm quite it doesn't cost $10k, it's some # the OP throw out to make a point but as most pointed out, it's better just to hire out this job and maybe long term replace the PLC. PLC 5 parts cost an arm and leg now even on eBay.

I agree with that too... but there's charging for work and there's charging for kindergarten work at the price of rocket scientist work too. Rockwell is the latter...
I get the feeling that as electricians start retiring Rockwell will fall from grace. Not necessarily in favour of one specific brand, but literally any other brand that doesn't pull the **** they regularly do.

Although for the basic starter edition its < £800

Does that one allow you to even change code? The cheapest license for RSLogix5k only allows you to see the code, not change it.

That's for RSLogix 500. Professional edition.

9324-RL5300ENE is £5660.00 in electronic format only.

The OP was looking for PLC 5 but your price is still a couple thousand cheaper over there... still to much if you ask me

Must be AB's passive-aggressive way of moving people out of the PLC 5 platform. Most distributor can get you a temp license.

Must be AB's passive-aggressive way of moving people out of the PLC 5 platform. Most distributor can get you a temp license.

They can do that by charging more for hardware such as a Ethernet PLC5 list price on a L40e is north of 30k so that should make people think twice but I think the software for 10k is not making people move to another platform

Great idea of just contact the local and ask for help, Both AB and Siemens both have helped me in the past and did not charge or they did very little

OK.... one more thing then I will be done, the only thing I have a issue with is consistency or lack thereof

They give away PCIS software (if you call they will give you a link), they dont even offer PanelBuilder for a price or free and they charge 10k for PLC 5 (RSLogix5)

To me that makes no sense other then they are different divisions handling the different software if that is the case then I understand and I have no idea if they are.

OK... im done 🍻

They can do that by charging more for hardware such as a Ethernet PLC5 list price on a L40e is north of 30k so that should make people think twice but I think the software for 10k is not making people move to another platform

Great idea of just contact the local and ask for help, Both AB and Siemens both have helped me in the past and did not charge or they did very little

A copy of Studio 5000 "Full", needed for safety PLCs or to use languages other than ladder isn't exactly cheap either.

The last time I saw a list price for a PLC 5-80 "1785-L80B", it was almost $50,000. As of last July Rockwell have discontinued all 1785 and 1771 parts. As well as a lot of RIO parts like 20-COMM-R and 1794-ASB have been discontinued. 1771 chassis have been discontinued since 2013. That means the only source left for these parts is the secondary markets, yet I still see integrators trying to develop solutions using PLC-5, and customers complaining at the ludicrous cost of parts, and the fact that they are being sourced from eBay.

I would try to reach out to your local distributor. Ours do what they can to try and help, and if nothing else they should be able to point you to some integrators that could help.

Last edited:
Tim Michols said:
Hi , i'm looking for copy of RSlogix5 or a laptop with that software on it. I need it to upload code ,so i can rewrite it. any help would be appreciated.

It's possible that it's your preference to "do" this conversion or "rewrite" yourself, but, seeing as you don't have the necessary software, and as has been advised, it would probably make more sense, financially and time-wise, to employ a third party to assist you.

Whether that third party is a contract programmer or Rockwell themselves, would be up to you and I'm sure dependant on cost.

Rockwell do provide a migration and/or bridging service via their local Solutions & Services teams. They can assess and cost up the migration path for you. They can also assist in migrating from certain other staple manufacturers' equipment. At the very least, they could carry out the extraction of the RSLogix 5 program and convert it to a Logix 5000 project, should you wish. Then, even if it's your intention to migrate to a non Rockwell Automation platform, you will now have the logic available for translation in a software environment that you do possibly have - RSLogix 5000 / Logix Designer.

Rockwell are indeed aggressively pricing customers away from these legacy platforms as OEM availability ceases or has ceased. That's "away" from both purchasing for new systems and for spares. The PLC-5 control system was officially retired last year after more than 30 years in service; testament to their longevity and reliability. But, customers have been pre-warned or advised that the end was nigh, for many years agone.

This platform is still going strong in many facilities today. Why? Well, besides the fact that they have lasted the test of time, customers have either not been aware of Rockwell's lengthy and ongoing migration campaign, long before they were retired, or they knew but have chosen not to migrate, or the process did/does not lend itself easily to a rip & replace or even phased migration.

While their longevity has been Rockwell's crowning glory for decades, it is ironically now the very reason that customers are railing against their passing. Customers, old and new, yes new, still have a healthy appetite for this trusted platform, and are censuring the decision to both cease their production and prohibitively price their procurement.

Alas, a line has, and must be drawn, somewhere. That "somewhere" was June 2017, and that line squares all the way back around to 1986, when the first Motorola 68000 based PLC-5 processor was released. It has served us well and may still continue to serve many for some years to come. But more sensible thinking should suggest we let it retire from service, rather than die on the job.

Do the decent thing here. Do not bemoan it's passing like a loved one you don't want to let go and the heavy cost involved in trying to hold on. Instead, celebrate its illustrious career, thank it for its loyal service and allow it gracefully retire into the annals of technological history.

57738 - Convert Legacy and Third Party PLC / HMI Programs
Access Level: Everyone

Respectfully,
George

Last edited:
It's possible that it's your preference to "do" this conversion or "rewrite" yourself, but, seeing as you don't have the necessary software, and as has been advised, it would probably make more sense, financially and time-wise, to employ a third party to assist you.

Whether that third party is a contract programmer or Rockwell themselves, would be up to you and I'm sure dependant on cost.

Rockwell do provide a migration and/or bridging service via their local Solutions & Services teams. They can assess and cost up the migration path for you. They can also assist in migrating from certain other staple manufacturers' equipment. At the very least, they could carry out the extraction of the RSLogix 5 program and convert it to a Logix 5000 project, should you wish. Then, even if it's your intention to migrate to a non Rockwell Automation platform, you will now have the logic available for translation in a software environment that you do possibly have - RSLogix 5000 / Logix Designer.

Rockwell are indeed aggressively pricing customers away from these legacy platforms as OEM availability ceases or has ceased. That's "away" from both purchasing for new systems and for spares. The PLC-5 control system was officially retired last year after more than 30 years in service; testament to their longevity and reliability. But, customers have been pre-warned or advised that the end was nigh, for many years agone.

This platform is still going strong in many facilities today. Why? Well, besides the fact that they have lasted the test of time, customers have either not been aware of Rockwell's lengthy and ongoing migration campaign, long before they were retired, or they knew but have chosen not to migrate, or the process did/does not lend itself easily to a rip & replace or even phased migration.

While their longevity has been Rockwell's crowning glory for decades, it is ironically now the very reason that customers are railing against their passing. Customers, old and new, yes new, still have a healthy appetite for this trusted platform, and are censuring the decision to both cease their production and prohibitively price their procurement.

Alas, a line has, and must be drawn, somewhere. That "somewhere" was June 2017, and that line squares all the way back around to 1986, when the first Motorola 68000 based PLC-5 processor was released. It has served us well and may still continue to serve many for some years to come. But more sensible thinking should suggest we let it retire from service, rather than die on the job.

Do the decent thing here. Do not bemoan it's passing like a loved one you don't want to let go and the heavy cost involved in trying to hold on. Instead, celebrate its illustrious career, thank it for its loyal service and allow it gracefully retire into the annals of technological history.

57738 - Convert Legacy and Third Party PLC / HMI Programs
Access Level: Everyone

Respectfully,
George

Well written George. I think people need to understand that Rockwell as everyone else also has to deal with obsolescence of the components used in their PLC5 platform... however, making the software that would allow people to move on from PLC5 prohibitively expensive when there is no longer any more investment in it from Rockwell is down right abusive.

If there are no more parts, then it doesn't matter if the software is for free or at a symbolic price... but Rockwell pricing it at more or at the same level of RS5k is just ridiculous.