Hydraulic Motion Controller - Options

JackPW

Hi, First Post.

I've read a lot of very helpful information here. Thanks to all

I have a few projects that will require motion control of hydraulic cylinders and and/or hydraulic motor. They are all a bit different. different bore and stroke, motor moving rack and pinion, etc. one has 4 cylinders that need to move together others have one. a retrofit already has Magnetostrictive start/stop, new ones are open to sensor type.

I'm familiar with some options but I'm a newb. What are some controllers or control methods that you have used with success? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

It would be very helpful to know what the application is. We have helped our customers with many different types of hydraulic applications so chances are we have done this before.

What is good to know is
1. the mass
2. the motion profile for a cycle including dwell times.
3. the required tolerance.

If you haven't bought the Temposonic rods yet make sure you buy 1 micron SSI rods.
If you have bought the valves, what model are they? Post a link to the pdf.

Coordinating hydraulic actuators is not a problem.

No Cons

Hi, First Post.

I've read a lot of very helpful information here. Thanks to all

I have a few projects that will require motion control of hydraulic cylinders and and/or hydraulic motor. They are all a bit different. different bore and stroke, motor moving rack and pinion, etc. one has 4 cylinders that need to move together others have one. a retrofit already has Magnetostrictive start/stop, new ones are open to sensor type.

I'm familiar with some options but I'm a newb. What are some controllers or control methods that you have used with success? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

There are no cons to using magnetostrictive transducers. Actually the SSI digital version is your best friend.

You do not want to tackle hydraulic velocity and pressure control with a PLC analog I/O strategy.

The best strategy is to have the PLC there for overall supervisory control, but also have dedicated AXIS controller for closed-loop velocity/pressure control.

There are some AB axis control modules like 1756-M02AS if you are Control-Logix platform. Or there is Delta Motion RMC75-E if you have Compact-Logix platform.

You can do this yourself, or you can ask for help. There may be an integrator that you could hire to give you the keys to EXPERT axis control. Or if time permits... your company can achieve the expertise to pull this off, in-house. The sole key here, is to have a one-hundred percent grasp of the industrial process requirements.

Best Regards

Plastic