Controling a ethernet PLC using Visual C# or any other .Net language

RayP

Hi
I have a twido TWDLCDE40DRF with ethernet plc , Ive got it connected via ethernet usinfg the ip address 192.168.1.2 .

I am making a remote guided veicle using a PLC and to display video information i have created an application in C# which has a flash ax control and uses camra.get to display the live video , It also captures the ^ V < > keys on the keybord .

id like to use these to control my drive motor which is connected to outputs 0.2 and 0.3 for forward and reverse motion . But im not sure of the code i should use to swich these outputs on and off .

Does anyone know what i should use to turn on output Q0.2 over ethernet with a .net or other programing language ?

(Twidosoft cannot be used because the keystroke functions must be used to turn on the output using a dedicated control application)

thanks

Last edited:
Sound like you need an OPC server; Speak to Schneider (Telemecanique). This should allow you to pass commands to the PLC from your application but you'll still need some code in the PLC to respond to your commands and control the outputs.

Have you considdered a PC based Digital I/O board to control the AGV directly without the need for a PLC? Just write a control word to a memory address.

Nick

Ive found an opc server for my plc . ive looked through the documentation and the website but i hav'nt found anything other than how to connect the plc using their application .

Nothing about using a .net language to control the plc

Now you need OPC client component to configure connection between your application and OPC server in Visual Studio IDE. You can make this connection in code also. Refer to .NET communities sites for more information about OPC or COM client programming.

RayP said:
Hi
I have a twido TWDLCDE40DRF with ethernet plc , Ive got it connected via ethernet usinfg the ip address 192.168.1.2 .

I am making a remote guided veicle using a PLC and to display video information i have created an application in C# which has a flash ax control and uses camra.get to display the live video , It also captures the ^ V < > keys on the keybord .

id like to use these to control my drive motor which is connected to outputs 0.2 and 0.3 for forward and reverse motion . But im not sure of the code i should use to swich these outputs on and off .

Does anyone know what i should use to turn on output Q0.2 over ethernet with a .net or other programing language ?

(Twidosoft cannot be used because the keystroke functions must be used to turn on the output using a dedicated control application)

thanks

I presume the Twidos have Modbus if so have a look around here:

http://www.modbus.pl/

Expensive, really? I wonder if it's another one of those cases of screwing the Europeans. I think it runs about $600US, which, I guess isn't cheap, but it's a lot less than you'd pay for RSLinx, for example. To be honest, I don't know anything about Twidos...

JesperMP said:
Go to http://www.opcconnect.com/dotnet.php for all sorts of components for OPC and .NET

Besides, the times I have bothered to get a price for one of Matrikons OPC products, they have been ridiculously expensive when compared to other vendors.
Why dont you contact Schneider ? Surely that have OPC servers for their PLCs.

surferb said:
Expensive, really? I wonder if it's another one of those cases of screwing the Europeans. I think it runs about $600US, which, I guess isn't cheap, but it's a lot less than you'd pay for RSLinx, for example. To be honest, I don't know anything about Twidos...
OK, I didnt know about their 'regular' OPC servers.
I have twice asked for their prices for ODBC and other database products, and I can tell you that they were twice as expensive as the secondmost expensive vendor I also looked into. What really peeved me was that they offered me to try their products before I bought them, but I had to accept that to recieve the demos, I effectively agreed to purchase their products unless the test failed for some reason. I couldnt accept such conditions -regardles of that I dont think it would stick in court - so I declined the offer. And that was only after a lot of negotioations - and I only wanted a price and a demo. ... Sorry for the rant.

Oh, I hear you! That demo deal is a bummer. I think they're a good company, though. My guess is that they didn't have a "demo enabled" version of the software so someone was trying to cover themselves in case you didn't return the key. It seems to happen that the technical people versus marketing don't always see eye to eye.

JesperMP said:
OK, I didnt know about their 'regular' OPC servers.
I have twice asked for their prices for ODBC and other database products, and I can tell you that they were twice as expensive as the secondmost expensive vendor I also looked into. What really peeved me was that they offered me to try their products before I bought them, but I had to accept that to recieve the demos, I effectively agreed to purchase their products unless the test failed for some reason. I couldnt accept such conditions -regardles of that I dont think it would stick in court - so I declined the offer. And that was only after a lot of negotioations - and I only wanted a price and a demo. ... Sorry for the rant.