Easybuilder update

CalG

The "old" PC that did all the EB8000 interaction with the MMI8070H went south.

I grabbed another "old" laptop and installed EB8000 V 415 or something (as supplied on the CD disk with the MMI8070)

When I try to pull the program off the MMI8070, Into EB8000, I get a "need a newer tool" error message. (I'm just one new tool away from satisfaction ;-)

If I pull the program off the MMI8070H onto the PC desk top and try to convert it from .xob to .rtp (I might have those letters wrong from memory) I get a "wrong format" error.

Of course there is no "help file" for the error messages that I have found in the EB8000 software.

What am I looking for? Pass words? It used to work.

Under "Tool", use "Decompile" to convert xob to mtp.
Default password is six ones. 111111. If password is wrong, it will tell you.

It may have been programmed with a version later than the 4.15 on your CD.
MMI models are from KEP. Download V4.65 from here. You need to login. Registration is free.

FAQs from Weintek.
See FAQ 17 or FAQ 9.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith

The disc contains EB8K V4.65, but I did down load and set up the version from KEP .
The decompile function is where the error is being displayed.
Passwords have not been changed from 111111,

I'll need to get that "new tool" ;-) I'm sure it's some little twist of not entering something correctly. I don't do well with the instruction manual language. I guess I'm not computer literate enough to fill in the missing blanks. Many of the instructions advise that some text block or check block will appear. But they don't. So then what? Ask around I suppose. ;-)

Oh well, just a machine.....

Last edited:
ETA

Tried it again just now.

With the program from the HMI uploaded to the desk top as "Panel1"
I renamed to Panel1.xob

The decompile window is opened. Using the browse option the Pane1.xob file is selected. The default <same directory> panel1.mtp destination is unchanged.
111111 is reentered into the pswd box and the "decompile" button is pressed.

The field that should show the decompile progress dispalys

"-decompiling-

-format error- "

nothing more. ;-(

I would not like to reset the HMI, loose the present program, without knowing I have that exact project to put back in. Loosing the PC is filled with uncertainty.

4.65 should be fine.
How did you upload from the HMI? Cable or USB?
If USB, you need to copy just one file from the 001 directory. The mt8000 file.
Add the extension .xob to it.

Do you know how to do screenshots? Shft/Prtsc, then paste in Paint and save as jpg.
Post a few.

If you want, post, PM or email it, and I'll try.

I did get the project onto the thumb drive directly.

Changed the mt800 file to the .xob extension.
Tried to decompile, " format error" message!

annoying.

Got IT! ;-)

After Keith so graciously gave his time to successfully decompile the up loaded project from this HMI, I was relieved that all was not lost.

His suggestion was to use the program available from the KEP web pages.
A good idea and one I had tried earlier without joy.

So, just to be "different" (hey! I resemble that remark!) I also put the program on a desk top machine. Guess what!

Everything worked perfectly! The decompile went along smoothly just as I remembered.
I guess there are two things to take away. First, not so much doubt and self blame, though operator error is always a big one. (uncertainty and lack of familiarity plays in here.

Second, Is when the warning text displays "Need new tool"
Yep! a newer tool is needed.
The lap top I had picked out (Toshiba Satellite) will be relegated to a Linux web cruiser . It does quite well as a DOS emulator for some of the old instruments I maintain.

Thanks all for bearing with me.

Cheers

Glad to hear you got it working. I did it on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an AMD processor. Maybe yours was an issue with an old Windows version.

In my case, Weintek doesn't show support for Windows 10. The only issue I have is not being able to connect via Ethernet. I download with USB cable or USB drive.
Mostly using the latest HMIs with EB Pro. Hope they support Win 10 soon.

There's been some important version changes over the years. I have several different versions loaded in order to support past and current customers.
V3.4.5, V4.33, V4.65.08, and the latest version of EB Pro.

At one time, you could download these different versions from Weintek. When I checked yesterday, I only saw V4.66 available. Maybe they made it backwards compatible. I'll need to check it out someday.

The lap top I had tried was older. the early USB standard I believe. Perhaps that is the issue.
It was interesting to see how much "different" the files you has created appear when opened on my PC. But when the project is decompiled fresh off the MMI8070, The PC display is more familiar. Perhaps just the settings difference between the two machines.

On an entirely different note, I would like to create alternate action buttons that really stand out when active. The old standard would have been a grain-o-wheat bulb, or an LED . Both highly visible from any angle and most lighting conditions.

These panel displays lack that brilliance. Is there any combination better than having the on state "white" against a fairly dark colored back ground.

I've been looking for useful examples on the inter net, but nothing has really "caught my eye", yet ;-)

If older USB was a problem, you wouldn't be able to open file on USB drive. Not sure what the issue was with the old PC.
There is two only differences between my PC and yours that I can think of. My EB8000 software came from Weintek, yours from KEP. The only difference here should be the model number list.
The other is fonts. When I first opened your file, it was looking for a font I didn't have, so I used the suggested Arial font as a replacement. Was that the difference in appearance?

The best examples are in the demo. This comes loaded on the HMI when new. You can download into your HMI, or simulate in software.

Startup EB8000. Under C:\EB8000\Project, open "MT8000i_Demo_800x480.mtp".
If needed, cancel and ignore complaint about missing Chinese font.
Compile it first. Tools, Compile.
Tools, Off-Line Simulation.
Use mouse to click buttons. Right-click on a screen to see options. Screenshot will copy a bitmap of the current screen to C:\EB8000\Screenshots. I use this feature to create operators manuals for my customers.

The latest models with the 600MHz Cortex-A8 have even better capabilities.
Download a copy of EB Pro, and run that demo. (Model chart)

If you find something you like, there's an easy way to put it directly into your project using Window Copy. Note the file name of the demo you like. Close it, and open your project. Edit, Window Process, Window Copy...
You can copy one or a range of screens into your current project.
Next, edit the the addresses from HMI internals to your PLC addresses, etc.