How to get siemens s7 1200 PLC IP address through wireshark?

ashu2shreya

Hi guys!

I am facing problem while fetching IP of simatic s7 1200 PLC.

It gives me info like:
Source:SiemensN_0e:fc::f0
Destination:LLDP multicast
Protocol:LLDP

I tried it with or without filter and filter as s7comm, It doesn't shows any info.

Unfortunately, a lot of the communication you'll see from a 1200 is layer 2, which means it doesn't include an IP address. Profinet IO, LLDP, and much more. These communicate via MAC address, which is what you were seeing.

If you need to use wireshark for this, you may want to look for ARP packets. ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) ties an IP address to a MAC address. If you cycle power on the 1200, you should see an ARP packet broadcast out, telling the network that IP address W.X.Y.Z is at such and such MAC address.

If you don't actually need to use wireshark, I'd suggest utilizing a tool like Proneta. It can scan the local network for PN devices. It then gives you a nice topology view with what is connected to what, and a table with all the devices, device names, and IP addresses. It utilizes DCP (Discovery and Configuration Protocol), which is part of Profinet.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/67460624

If you've captured the LLDP multicast, then there you should also find the IP address of the S7 in the wireshark capture.

Open the Wireshark tree:
Link Layer Discovery Protocol
-> Management Address
--> Management Address: x.x.x.x

If you've captured the LLDP multicast, then there you should also find the IP address of the S7 in the wireshark capture.

Open the Wireshark tree:
Link Layer Discovery Protocol
-> Management Address
--> Management Address: x.x.x.x
Thanks Thomas_v2!

I am new to wireshark, din't get how to do whatever you told.Can you please tell me step wise procedure, How exactly it should do?

Unfortunately, a lot of the communication you'll see from a 1200 is layer 2, which means it doesn't include an IP address. Profinet IO, LLDP, and much more. These communicate via MAC address, which is what you were seeing.

If you need to use wireshark for this, you may want to look for ARP packets. ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) ties an IP address to a MAC address. If you cycle power on the 1200, you should see an ARP packet broadcast out, telling the network that IP address W.X.Y.Z is at such and such MAC address.

If you don't actually need to use wireshark, I'd suggest utilizing a tool like Proneta. It can scan the local network for PN devices. It then gives you a nice topology view with what is connected to what, and a table with all the devices, device names, and IP addresses. It utilizes DCP (Discovery and Configuration Protocol), which is part of Profinet.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/67460624
Thanks mk42!

Proneta has solve my problem. Thanks

I am new to wireshark, din't get how to do whatever you told.Can you please tell me step wise procedure, How exactly it should do?

See attached screenshot. If you've capture the LLDP multicast from the S7-1200 you should see the management address.

wireshark-lldp-multicast-management-address.jpg