Affordable PLC?

I have done a bunch of projects with the Clicks my last few I used some analog I/O. No issues at all and highly recommend. I have had issues with the EZ tp's in the past and will not use them again, never used their PLC's but my past experience leaves me in doubt.

I have done a bunch of projects with the Clicks my last few I used some analog I/O. No issues at all and highly recommend. I have had issues with the EZ tp's in the past and will not use them again, never used their PLC's but my past experience leaves me in doubt.

I bought a "drop-in" replacement EZ HMI to replace an AB PV1400. It was sleek, thin, bright.
After sending the PLC and HMI projects to EZ tech support, I was told that it would be a drop-in replacement.
Well, the drop-in WOULD HAVE turned out to be a couple hundred rungs (SLC-5/04) to support the PLC's massive use of ASCII.
The original firmware had a bug which caused the panel to crash once or twice a month. (to be fair, they did issue a FW update that remedied the crash.)
Needless to say, it was NEVER installed.

UPDATE: Got busy with work but I was able to take my laptop home and test the software for a few hours!

Horner : Difficult to figure out Hardware configuration. I couldn't figure out the PLC rack, power supply, I/O modules etc. Just need a standalone PLC. Very difficult to figure out the things I need using their Cscape software.

Click : Software is easy. Guides you on what to configure next. It was very difficult to write logic as connecting instructions together was very difficult. Took me a good 30 minutes to connect a few contacts and timer together!
Limited instruction sets. No function blocks other than Timer and Counter.

EZLogix : Software is easy. Guides you step by step. Software has a graphical view of the PLC. I was able to add I/O modules that I want and it gives me the I/O addresses right there. I was able to pick instructions and place where ever I want and interconnect them. Good Instructions and function blocks like Alarms, Scaling (Linear and Non Linear), User Defined Faults, String Pack and Unpack.

At this point I'm going to drop Horner and continue testing Click and EZLogix.

Stay Tuned!

UPDATE: Got busy with work but I was able to take my laptop home and test the software for a few hours!

Click : Software is easy. Guides you on what to configure next. It was very difficult to write logic as connecting instructions together was very difficult. Took me a good 30 minutes to connect a few contacts and timer together!
Limited instruction sets. No function blocks other than Timer and Counter.

At this point I'm going to drop Horner and continue testing Click and EZLogix.

Stay Tuned!

CLICK is a KYBD < -- > MOUSE software.
KYBD: CTRL-ARROW to draw connector, SHIFT-CTRL-ARROW to erase connector, SHIFT-ARROW to select.
There is a list of KYBD shortcuts in the HELP. Look for help topic CL198.

When you get stuck on anything like the software, give the company a call. This should show you the support they have on the product.

Just a thought,
Regards,

If you already had Logix500 software and experience, I would use a Micrologix1100. It is a lot cheaper in the long run to have a platform that is well known and supported our maintenance department than to save a few bucks on hardware. But the hardware selection really depends on your experience and knowledge, the people who are going to be supporting the systems experience and knowledge, and what distributor support you have in your area.

Thank you all; for your inputs. Good people and great suggestions!
I have just a little knowledge about programming Micrologix, SLC, ControlLogix , CompactLogix, DL06 and Do-More. All self taught.
I'm just trying to see what other products are out there which are affordable, easy to program and good features.

Off Topic: This is my real life experience. Some of my friends are well off and drive fancy cars! Who doesn't love a good car but some of us can't afford them. One day I was at this dealership looking at a used Nissan Altima and I saw this sharp looking car sitting in the lot. Asked the sales guy about it and he got me the keys to it to test drive. This car was loaded! Premium leather, Panoramic sunroof, Heated / Cooled seats, Heated Steering, Navigation. Every single feature and luxury one could ask for and a very ... very ... affordable price! It was a Kia Optima SXL! Bought it home the same day!
All my friends love it. They paid 60 - 80K for their Audi's , Infinity's and BMW's. I paid 25K and have more amenities in my car! It's been a few years and no issues what so ever. Guess what, this is Made in America!

This real life experience led me to explore my options! That's why I'm doing this. Exploring cheaper and reliable options!

stay tuned for more updates on Click and EZLogix software testing!

Long time lurker here on this forum. Lot's of information here for people like us to learn.
I have a project where I need 11 Digital Inputs, 14 Digital Outputs, 6 Analog Inputs (Voltage) and 4 Analog Outputs (Voltage).
Need a very economical solution and easy to use software. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

wago programmable field bus couplers.

Update:
Click : It is good for simple ladder logic but not very friendly when it comes to complex projects as it lacks function blocks. No simulation feature.

EZLogix: is looking good. I was able to write my ladder. Built in function blocks came in very handy. There is not much learning curve at all. Everything looks fairly very simple and user friendly. I didn't have to buy the actual hardware to test my logic. it has simulation feature and I was able to simulate my project. It even showed a graphical view of my PLC with I/O's turning ON/OFF depending on my logic!
Right now i'm more leaning towards EZLogix. I saw the pricing for the CPU and modules I need and it came out to $465! Inexpensive!
$100 lesser than Click and more features!

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
Update:
Click : It is good for simple ladder logic but not very friendly when it comes to complex projects as it lacks function blocks. No simulation feature.

Stay Tuned!

Can't argue with that, Captain, but FB and sim were not in the original post. We couldn't know to filter out the CLICK.šŸ™ƒ

Update!

I went ahead and bought the EZLogix system. Affordable and Easy to program!

EZLGX-AC-03B :$99 (3 Slot PLC Base with built in Power Supply)
EZLGX-CPU-1UE : $149 (CPU with built in Serial, Ethernet, Standard USB and Micro USB Port)
EZLGX-IO-16DCI : $49 (16 Ch. 24V DC, Digital Input Module)
EZLGX-IO-16DCOP : $49 (16 Ch. 24V DC, Digital Output Module)
EZLGX-IO-8ANI4ANOV : $199 (8 Ch. In, 4 Ch. Out, Analog Input ā€“ Voltage)
Programming Software Free
Total : $545

Instruction set and built in Function Blocks made my programming very easy.
I bought the hardware after I finished writing my logic. Unit looks ROCK SOLID!
Installation was a breeze. My boss loves it! My review is coming up soon. Perfect timing!!! :p