Powerflex 753 line reactor requirements

ABnewb

I have two motors running off of a singular Powerflex 753 drive. I'm trying to determine if I need to use a line reactor for these motors. The longest run is 150'. Could somebody direct me to a specification?

A line reactor goes on the line side. If you put a reactor on the load side, it's a load reactor. One aspect has to do with the distance, because the distances are ADDITIVE. So if you have one motor at 150' and the other is 100', the circuit distance is 250'. But you likely don't need load reactors with a 753 drive at that distance. There is a chart available to determine that circuit length. It's toward the back of this document.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/drives-in001_-en-p.pdf

Load reactors are recommended on any multi-motor application because the likelihood of a load side fault on the motor circuit components is increased by a factor of the number of motors, so for two motors, you have twice the risk of a load circuit problems. So if a conductor or motor winding fails for any reason, the fault current can rise so fast that it damages the transistors in the drive before the drive electronic protection systems can react and shut down. The load reactor adds an inductive time constant to that circuit which slows down the rise time of the fault current surge.

You could make the same argument for a load reactor on one motor, but generally the risk/benefit ration is not what most people get excited about. Two or more motors however make it worth it.

Last edited:
There are a lot of applications I've run into where they either want to disconnect a motor while running, or there is the possibility it disconnects automagiacaly. In this case an output load reactor is definitely needed.

Distance / lead length, as mentioned is the other concen. I usually advise to use one over 100' for cheap insurance.

In my experience, the need for a load reactor is a function of motor hp with lower hp requiring one with shorter lead lengths than larger ones. I have used the following rules for many years successfully. The basic assumptions for the following rules are:
1. 460-480V service
2. MG1-P31 qualified motor
3. PWM or Carrier Frequency 8khz or less

Given the above, then maximum lead lengths without a reactor are:

100hp or more----------not more than 250 wire feet per phase
10hp or less-------------not more than 60 wire feet per phase
Extrapolate linearly between 10 and 100hp

Add reactor--------------above lengths double
Add dv/dt filter----------above lengths triple
Motor Class F but not MG1-P31----above lengths halved

Hope that's useful