How to use SIN in RSLogix

pbr_forum

Hello,

I am not an expert in RSLogix, that's why I am asking for some help. I need to add a SIN wave in RSLogix. It needs to look like this: sin((1/60)*time). I have read in the help section that: dest:=sin(source), so my «source» needs to be: (1/60)*time. My problem is the following: I don't know how to input the time correctly. It doesn't look like a hard task, but I just want some tips because I want to be sure to do it correctly. Thank you!

Pierre

well, you didn't tell us WHICH RSLogix you're using – and you didn't tell us WHAT TIME (seconds, minutes, hours, etc.) you want to use - but maybe the two following examples will get you started ...

===============

for RSLogix500 – use a Floating Point location (example: F8:0) as your destination for a CPT (Compute) instruction ...

try this for the expression:

((SIN(S:42 * 0.10649)) * 50.0) + 50.0

that should give you a sine wave with a period of one minute – and a range from 0 to 100 ...

===============

for RSLogix5 – use a Floating Point location (example: F8:0) as your destination for a CPT (Compute) instruction ...

try this for the expression:

((SIN(S:23 * 0.10649)) * 50.0) + 50.0

that should give you a sine wave with a period of one minute – and a range from 0 to 100 ...

===============

both of the examples above are based on using the seconds reading from the processor's real-time clock ... if your processor doesn't have a clock, then let us know and we'll try something else ...

if this doesn't fully answer your question, please post again with more details ...

Sine_Wave_S42.JPG

Last edited:
thank you for your answer!
The version I'm using is RSLogix5000 and the time is in seconds. I would like to implement a SIN bloc (found under «Trig Function») in a «Function Bloc Diagram».

Thanks Again!

I know this is a really old post. I hope its fine if I revive this.
The equation works perfectly, creates an really nice sine curve of period 1 minute.

How did we reach at 0.10649? The equation above is Sine(Seconds * 0.1649).

My initial guess was its Time period, derived by (2π/60), ie. 2*PI/60, which comes out to be 0.10471975. But clearly I'm missing something here

Last edited:
the Seconds reading from the clock only goes up to a maximum value of 59 (it never reaches 60) ... so try dividing (2*pi) by 59 ...

and welcome to the forum ...