Windows Server 2008

halla26

Hi guys.

We use a desktop computer running a application via factorytalk to allow operators to interface instead of a HMI.

The hdd is unfortunately on its way out!

My question is however.. I don't really grasp why we're using windows server? It is simply the one HMI that is ran on it to one PLC processor. Could i not setup a new hdd and just stick windows 7 on it with factory talk and run the hmi through that? or is there something I'm missing

Do you know if it's running FactoryTalk View ME, or FactoryTalk View SE ? Are there any databases or web servers running on it ?

Do you know what version of FactoryTalk View it's running ? OS compatibility has been only moderately broad for that product; you might have trouble getting anything older than V5 to run on Windows 7.

It might be that's the PC they had handy at the time.

Putting the Server image on a new HDD is likely to be a lot less work than replacing the OS and hoping it works. I say likely because I've never tried cloning a Server HDD before.

Putting the Server image on a new HDD is likely to be a lot less work than replacing the OS and hoping it works. I say likely because I've never tried cloning a Server HDD before.
+1
We do it without issue (Microsoft Server 2016).
We use clonezilla to clone to the same size drive and have not had an issue.