Used CompactLogix L35E

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all, I purchased a used CompactLogix L35E and am trying to connect to it via the Ethernet IP port. I know what machine it came from however, I do not know the IP address used. Would someone please tell me how to discover the IP address on this? Normally I would try the serial port however, I haven't a cable for it right now. Thank you.

Would the 00:00:BC:CC:C0:BA be the MAC address? It's the only address on the CPU. Thank you

I highly doubt the Ethernet port of a used CompactLogix CPU does not have an assigned, static, IP Address; I also wouldn't go around and BOOTP unknown MAC IDs.

Just to make sure the flashing MAC Address is indeed the CompactLogix Ethernet port, remove the CPU and verify the factory label MAC Address; if the Ethernet port is not static addressed the factory label stated MAC ID should be the one listed within your BOOTP Server applet.

If it is not the same MAC address wait until you could connect to the controller Serially.

I highly doubt the Ethernet port of a used CompactLogix CPU does not have an assigned, static, IP Address;

Just to make sure the flashing MAC Address is indeed the CompactLogix Ethernet port, remove the CPU and verify the factory label MAC Address;

The address I put here is the number I took off the side of the CPU. I am certain it has a static IP in it however, I am unable to get a hold of who I bought it from.

if it's just you and your laptop (no IT guys involved) then you might try using WireShark ... there have been several threads devoted to it - and it's a free download ...

it works fine in my lab when I do a demo of it ...

another straw at which to grasp ...

try setting up an Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx ... that might be able to browse and discover the IP address for you ...

specifically - do not use the Ethernet Devices driver - use Ethernet/IP instead ...

If this is a used unit and you don't care about the program in it, just pull the battery. The 1769-L35E will clear its memory immediately when the battery is disconnected, and go back to DHCP/BOOTP mode.

The MAC ID of the CompactLogix is listed prominently on the controller label.

00:00:0C is also a range of MAC ID's that's assigned to Rockwell Automation, so on a test bench I generally look for that range rather than even bothering to look at the sticker.