Rockwell HMI Software on Win 7 "Embedded"

Rockwell Tim

I have a win 7 computer delivered from General Atomics. It is encased in a really nice explosion-proof box for a classed area. However, the processor is an Intel "Atom" 1.66GHz and the OS is Win 7 Pro "Embedded" SP1. Soooooooo, FactoryTalk View SE will not run on it. It will not install either.

Don't shoot the messenger, I did NOT order this thing.

I split my time between the field and the cubicle, so I often rely on the Rockwell Knowledgebase and/or Tech support via phone. I have little time to experiment. In this case, Rockwell does NOT have a published list of components needed for their software to run on this embedded OS, so I have no-where to look for the modules required.

Anyone out there with some experience?

So I think KB 619825 should answer your question.

Excerpt from that "... NOT suitable for running View Studio"

There are some caveats to that, but you may have better luck overwriting the OS w/ Win 7 Pro SP1...

If the product sticker on the side of the unit has the word "Pro" on it then it is a regular OEM copy of Windows 7. The Embedded in the name just refers to the sales channel that the computer builder used to acquire the OS license from Microsoft.

You can use a standard OEM DVD from anything, like a Dell OEM disc or whatever is laying about. It will take that 25-digit COA. You'll need to grab the drivers for the hardware. I usually take a snapshot of the OS with WinAudit so I know what is on them before reinstall.

If the sticker doesn't have the 25-digits (sometimes it is 7-9 digits long starting with 'X' I've seen). Then it is a true Windows Embedded Standard OS; missing whatever components the computer/image builder didn't select in their Image Configuration Editor.

According to bellow posted screenshot crop the only Windows Embedded (or IOT) version FTV SE v.9.0 is compatible with is Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro.

Generally, for any RA product, you could verify all install and functionality requirements at:

http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductSelector.aspx?crumb=111

Search for your product, add it in the Selected Items right hand pane, highlight it and then pick "Compare"

FTV SE WinEmbedded.jpg

I've had similar experiences with software on "embedded" windows. Not sure about earlier versions, but I know "embedded" windows 7 just means that the computer manufacturer controls what windows components get installed. Usually neither the Software maker nor the PC maker release that info the requirements/inclusions.

That's probably what you just found out, but trying to say I feel your pain.

A chance is that the pc is a "normal" pc just branded as embedded and in a industrual case. Then you can put any os on it as long as speed and memory us there. Seems you have nothing to lose.

I have a win 7 computer delivered from General Atomics. It is encased in a really nice explosion-proof box for a classed area. However, the processor is an Intel "Atom" 1.66GHz and the OS is Win 7 Pro "Embedded" SP1. Soooooooo, FactoryTalk View SE will not run on it. It will not install either.

Don't shoot the messenger, I did NOT order this thing.

I split my time between the field and the cubicle, so I often rely on the Rockwell Knowledgebase and/or Tech support via phone. I have little time to experiment. In this case, Rockwell does NOT have a published list of components needed for their software to run on this embedded OS, so I have no-where to look for the modules required.

Anyone out there with some experience?

With embedded, if it installs and works then great.
If it doesn't install/run, then give up and move on. You would need to install either the missing windows components(which ones?) or install the full version of Windows 7 Pro.

I've had similar experiences with software on "embedded" windows. Not sure about earlier versions, but I know "embedded" windows 7 just means that the computer manufacturer controls what windows components get installed. Usually neither the Software maker nor the PC maker release that info the requirements/inclusions.

Yes, when the manufacturer builds that PC they get to choose which Windows components go in there.

You'll still be on your own for support; not officially supported unless you buy a Rockwell computer with embedded Windows. The reason: they put all the components needed for FTView SE and tested it to work.

Thanks

Because this is a class 1 area, I have to use an explosion-proof box. General Atomics provides that solution, but their Tech Support guys don't know what an HMI is (even though this unit is advertised as HMI ready).

So I will use tight vnc. A computer in a non-classed area will run the HMI, and this new one with the embedded OS will connect via Tight VNC and display the HMI.

I think it is my best option right now. But I cannot take the credit for the solution. Another guy here at my work made the suggestion.

Tim, I would recommend against this solution.
Tight VNC is fine for occasional check in and access but a poor candidate for a permanent and reliable connection.

Either put a decent PC in the main XP panel (if its physically close enough to HMI enclosure) and use the General atomics just as a display if its capable of it.

If not swap out the Atom based PC for a decent one.
Anything Atom based is generally junk for industrial use. Especially for Rockwell software products which are generally hardware/resource intensive.
Fix the problem now while its early or you will be miserable looking for bandaids later.

A thin client should work for this. We have VMWare images running on a (high powered) server that thin clients connect to, works great