Ethernet remote I/O for all PLC's

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am building a digital remote I/O station and will need to communicate to several different PLC's via Ethernet the station will have several inputs and several outputs, maybe analog also, this will only communicate to one PLC at a time.

The PLC's are ControlLogix (ENBT), MicroLogix (1400), GE 90-30 (CPU 374), Mitsubishi Q06HCPU (QJ71E71-100), Siemens 1215, Omron, Schneider, WAGO and Click

I have never used one and have found a few, has anyone ever used the Red Lion E3?

http://www.redlion.net/product/e3-io-module-34-mixed-inputsoutputs

If you have used one and like it let me know the brand so I can look at them

Many thanks!

hi genius, how did this project go? were you able to make clx and mitsubishi talk to each other without using redlion?

Hello,

We ended up using the Red Lion, I tried a couple of different protocols but from what I heard the school that we sold it to has used it for many, Red Lion has a good reputation of being able to communicate to just about anything

This is the one we made for the school, they are teaching the different protocols

DSCN1060.jpg

Not sure I have not used that one, not sure about the price either, lets put it this way.... Red Lion is very proud of their product the list price is about 1000 USD, but it does a lot

Hi Genius, I believe a lot of the PLCs you mention talk over Modbus TCP/IP as well, being an open protocol. The Red Lion E3 you chose for the application looks to be an excellent product for the application . Some food for thought, another inexpensive solution is using EZAutomation EZRemote I/O that talks Ethernet I/P and you can put various I/O modules on it (DC, Analog, Temperature etc.)

http://www.ezautomation.net/ezremoteio/ezremoteio_menu.htm