4 wire vs 2 wire 4-20ma loop question

This isn't a stupid question. Many people have been confused by 2-wir vs. 3-wire vs. 4-wire. I always make sure I cover this in my classes.

Note that many transmitters are 4-wire because the power draw is too high to take it from the 4-20 mA loop. Many 4-wire transmitters are AC powered.

how did i miss this.
i usually see tom jenkins and go straight to that ****.
dude, this is awesome.

This isn't a stupid question. Many people have been confused by 2-wir vs. 3-wire vs. 4-wire. I always make sure I cover this in my classes.

Note that many transmitters are 4-wire because the power draw is too high to take it from the 4-20 mA loop. Many 4-wire transmitters are AC powered.

nice to see you still around. you were the sh_t back in 2000 even.

Some confusion may occur when determining whether a field device (transmitter) is 2, 3 or 4 wire because of the number of wires/conductors in an M12 cordset, however, it is not the number of wires/conductors in a cordset that determines 2, 3, or 4 wire functionality.

2, 3, or 4 wire functionality is determined by the minimum number of wires/conductors required for 4-20mA functionality (by industry norm terminology).

A cordset may have more wires/conductors than are needed for 4-20mA functionality for other functions, but those conductors do not count when determining 4-20mA functionality.

Some confusion may occur when determining whether a field device (transmitter) is 2, 3 or 4 wire because of the number of wires/conductors in an M12 cordset, however, it is not the number of wires/conductors in a cordset that determines 2, 3, or 4 wire functionality.

2, 3, or 4 wire functionality is determined by the minimum number of wires/conductors required for 4-20mA functionality (by industry norm terminology).

A cordset may have more wires/conductors than are needed for 4-20mA functionality for other functions, but those conductors do not count when determining 4-20mA functionality.

I don't really see how cordsets are relevant to the discussion, since most field instruments don't even connect to a controller via a cordset. Electrical circuits are electrical circuits, regardless of the method of termination.

I don't really see how cordsets are relevant to the discussion, since most field instruments don't even connect to a controller via a cordset. Electrical circuits are electrical circuits, regardless of the method of termination.
See this thread's post #1: "banner ultra sonic sensor. Had to connect the brown to 24+, blue to 24-, the black to 24- and the return (white) to the input card."

Banner ultrasonic's that I've seen use M12 cordsets and the wire colors match Banner cordsets.

It's relevant because the stated problem involves a device with an M12 cordset.

You should be able to list PLCtalk.net user names in the 'desired candidate attributes' section of Job ads, some with "NOT" in front of them :p.

my name would most def. have a not in front of it then.

but in real life, i never had a failed project in over 21 years.
in fact, i was the dude that fixed other people's failed projects.

but we all here trying to get better.

never stop learning.