CP5611 under Windows XP

szpachel

Hi to all!

I have a serious problem with a desktop migration from NT to XP.

Current configuration of my system is:
- desktop with Windows NT 4.0 SP6 (build 1381),
- WinCC V4.02/SP3,
- CP5611 PCI (MPI).

I would like to move to PC with Windows XP SP1 (build 2600) and use the same WinCC and CP5611.

The problem is that after installation under XP it doesn't work:
- after reboot winlogon displays a WlxNegotiate error window: "Origin GINA returned version=0001004"
- after use of "Read" button in Control Panel -> PB/PC Interface -> CP5611(MPI) -> Diagnostics there is a error displayed: "Error 0x0313: Transmition rate does not match network transmition rate or wrong interrupt".
- There is an controller's driver error on hardware device list.

What should I do to make this installation possible?

Regards,
Szpachel

1. You probably need a relatively recent driver for the CP5611 card for it to work with XP. The one that comes with Win CC v4.0 is probably not recent enough.

2. Not sure that Win CC itself supports XP from version 4.0.
The current version of Win CC is 6.0(+ some service packs).

In short you have to update your Win CC for it to work with Win XP.

HI JesperMP,

first of all thx for you opinion.
I think that your diagnosis is absolutely right and you have to belive me I would like to upgrade my WinCC:)
The problem is I'am not able to upgrade WinCC to newest version because of
project and database I use were made under 4.0/SP3 version and I can't make any changes (licence agriement).

Is it possible to load newest CP5611 drivers without WinCC upgrade?

I dont know how WinCC v4 communicates with the CP5611 card.
The description in your 1st post makes it look like it uses the S7ONLINE or another access point which is set with the "Set PG/PC Interface" utility. And it does sound like the problem is that the driver is not recent enough.
In that case it may be enough to simply update the drivers.
You probably need the latest version of Simatic Softnet Profibus S7. List price is approx 400 Euro.
If you have a recent version of STEP7 lying around, then installing that on the same PC will update the CP drivers too (just to try and see if it fixes the problem).

But I am still not sure that Win CC v4 itself will work under Win XP.
In the end your best options may be to use a PC with Win NT (some people still do for the same reasons as you), or to bite the bullet and upgrade WinCC.

Jesper,

Maybe it was not clear but I use CP5611 on MPI at 187.5 Kbaud to talk to S7-300 through the WinCC 4.02/SP3 (project). Does that meen I need someting else that the latest Simatic Softnet Profibus S7?

No, that ought to be all.
What I mean is that the hardware drivers have to be updated.
You can do it with Simatic Softnet, or with STEP7 in a recent version.

Disclaimer:
I cannot guarantee that it will work. I am guessing here. If WinCC v4 works with XP at all I dont know.

Wincc v4 and NT4

Hi,

I was searching the internet for information about upgading our windows NT4 PC's to another windows plattform (win 2000/XP). The problem is that NT4 is no longer supported by Microsoft. There are no new drivers availible for the hardware. So when my parts of the computer fail to operate and need to be replaced by new parts it will be possible that NT4 won't accept the new part. There for you need to migrate to another Windows version (2000/XP).
What I don't know for sure is that de WINCC version 4 will work on another windwos platform. I can't make it up by reading this forum and this thread. But it's been a while since there has been a post on this thread that's why I ask the question agian.

Will WINCC Version 4 work on another platform??

Thanks in advance.

It will work...

Hello,

We have PC based touch panel wich controls one of the lines with the following configuration: Windows98, WinCC 4.02 SP3, CP5611 comunicatingo with S300 station throught MPI port. The TP started to crash... it could not start the Windows properly. So as temporarely solution I took PC with Windows XP Prof SP2,installed WinCC 4.02, moved CP5611, installed drivers via Simatic NET and everything worked normal until we repaird TP.

This is what Siemens says for WinCC V4.02+SP3 to work OK:

Windows 95/98/NT up to SP6a
Internet Explorer V4.01 SP1/V5.0
Simatic Net V 05/2000

I already tried it and it doesn't work on Windows XP. for that you have to upgrade to WinCC V6

I think that what Krcedinac has done is to use an uptodate version of Simatic Net (not v.5 !) with an old version of WinCC. This is also what I suggested.
It would be nice to get Krcedinac's feedback on the Simatic Net version.

Hi,

I have a problem with WINCC ver 4.xx I don't think it works on win XP. But OK I'm not sure. If you would like to upgrade to WINCC rel 6.0 you also have to migrate your Project. Iow you can't just upgrade WinCC 4.0 to WinCC 6.0 you also need to migrate your project and that's not easy. Take also in account that WinCC 4.0 works with syBase as a database and WinCC 6.0 works with SQLServer of Microsoft. So it's not a simple upgrade of WinCC.

Rudi

i still use Windows XP SP1 (both Home and Proffesional) because of dummy firewall and other unwanted stuff in SP2... and where is no problem using CP5611 (old one or newest reviesion as well) ... anyway i do not use wincc, so problem lies within your wincc or simatic softnet version

Hi Fritz,

I didn't say it was easy to migrate from V4.x to V6, but it can be done. First migrate from V4.x to V5.1 (easy), then you can use the migration wizard on the V6 CD to migrate from V5.1 to V6 SP4.

If you don't want to do the migration, then you are stuck with Windows NT