Connecting to a Micrologix 1500 LRP 24BWA

Nesstar

Here is my problem... I have taken a PLC beginner course and a PLC intermediate course... But both courses focused heavily on programming. Now that I am out in the work force I am having one heck of a time getting the communication set up so that I can do the actual programming.

Both of the Omron types of PLCs on the factory floor are pretty easy to hook up to since it is a special cable and I just have to pick the comm port #.

But for Allen bradley I am having HUGE problems.

I tried hooking up to this Micrologix 1500 with a 1747-cp3 cable(I believe it is RS 232), I tried to create the proper driver in rslinx, but i can not seem to find the nodes.

Is there a basic tutorial anywhere I could read? Or something really simple I am missing?

The only other tech with PLC experience on the floor is currently injured.

See link below for a how-to

http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?article=65

Is this a running PLC or? Is there a program in it, if so do you have the offline program to look at. Check the channel configuration they can be set-up for DF1, DH485 or ASCII protocol. This would dictate the driver used in RSLink.
If DF1 then the above link should work.

If you can post the offline program here(zip it first) and someone can help take a look at the channel configuration.

Last edited:
Do you have a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable? if yes then use this and go into the PLC (on the front) the side port on the LRP may be set up for an HMI

I think this is also what Mickey is talking about...

I followed along with the guide... But unfortunately I am stuck back where i was.

I select Com Port 1... Which is a Plolific USB-to-Serial Usb comm Port... Then I click Auto Config. It goes through the steps at the bottom, and ends with "Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all cables and configuration and try again." I have tried a few different cables. (4222 0546 03,2711-NC13)

When I open the communication properties on the program it comes up with (Driver= AB_DF1-1,Route=Local,Processor Node =1, Last configured is AB_DF1-1 Node 1d local.)

Not all USB to serial devices work. Fot one that does see link below ( Keyapan)
scroll down right hand side. Most USB to serial devices do not take comm 1 on your PC. Check device manager on your PC and see what port the USB to serial adapter took ( comm 3,4,5??)

http://www.plctrainer.net/

What you show as comm properties is not the channel configuration check the channel configuration on the project tree. Or post the .RSS file here and someone can take a look ( zip the file first)

Last edited:
The serial is showing up as Comm1... The Driver in the Channel Config is DH485. and the Baud is 19200. Also Only channel 1 has Comms servicing selection... and Message Servicing selection checked...

Sorry I would normally post the project that I am working on, Being a new hire I am somewhat uneducated on there intellectual properties mumbo jumbo.

Edit* Actually I have an DH485 Usb to Rs232 converter I think... Let me try that

Last edited:
We're more interested in the COM port assignment on your PC, not the PLC! You're needing to configure which port the PC is using to communicate with the PLC.

I would be VERY surprised if that USB>Serial adapter is showing up as COM1 -- that almost NEVER happens, unless someone has specifically, intentionally changed it to be COM1. Generally, COM1-COM4 are reserved for hardware "real" serial ports. COM5-COM10 would be more typically assigned to a USB>serial adapter.

But now that you mention it - if the PLC port is set to DH485, you're not going to be able to use it this way, anyway...

If you find that DH485 USB to RS232 adapter, would you care to post its model number?

Last edited:
I select Com Port 1... Which is a Plolific USB-to-Serial Usb comm Port...

Just wanted to say (like everyone else has said)

I do not think your USB is COM1

Look in your device mananger and click on the Com Port, then you will see what number it is, try this number and then click auto configure... if it does not work then, try another USB adapter as Mickey said the Keyspan is very good

((thanks for the plug Mickey))

The problem was with the driver I installed for the 1747-UIC USB to DH485 converter... And yes as hard as it is to believe it is Comm. 1. For somereason the only other comm port on the laptop Is comm 7.

Thanks for all the help!