Raspberry Pi 3 w/ Point IO (1734-AENT)

tmarion

Currently have an Allen Bradley 1734-AENT (CIP Ethernet) Module, with 2 points of IO. In the first slot is a 1734-IB4 (4 point Input), and in the second slot is a 1734-OB8 (8 Point Output). The point IO is configured and happy. I have downloaded Codesys to run on my Raspberry Pi 3 b+. The code runs on my PI, I have just a simple program right now. A flash timer and based on if I have input 0 or 1 from my Input card it adjust the flash time.

I am using my computer thru a Hirschmann spider 5Tx Ethernet switch and I can ping everything. Everything independently seems to be working fine.

I am very new to Codesys, but have been using AB for some time. When I download to the RPi and put it in run mode everything in my devices is green. I am using the Ethernet_IP_Scanner; followed by the _1734_AENT_EtherNetIP_Adapter provided by Codesys. This starts out with a Red Triangle, indicating error, but after a few seconds it also turns green. I have mapped my IO and I still get nothing back from the Point IO module.

I have a feeling I dont have something quite right in my configuration (although Codesys isn't flaging it as bad), which is preventing me from getting back my IO to the codesys platform via Ehternet. Has anyone worked with one of these before and can anyone shed some light as to what I might have configured wrong. I have attached my connection. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!!

Connection.PNG

When you say that you've mapped your I/O, are you sure it is in a program that is in a active, running task?

Is the I/O data greyed out on the Point I/O device config/EthernetIP I/O Mapping screen? Try setting Always Update Variables to "Enabled 2 (always in bus cycle task)" (see screenshot attached)

The triangle goes from red to green on startup (and then stays green), this is normal.

2019-01-15 07_44_53-Window.png

bjh - Thanks for the reply. So I did find what you suggested was not set. I have since corrected that. I also believe that the mapped I/O is in a program that is in a active, running task.

I noticed in the EnetAdapter attachment that it says 'UpdateConfiguration: Failed to load connections'. From this I am assuming that something in my connections isn't configured right. I have also attached this. Anything that looks wrong? I got the values from the PDF from codesys website for use of RPi with 1734-AENT.

Again any and all insight is greatly appreciated!!

IO_Mapping.PNG EnetAdapter.PNG connectionConfig1.PNG connectionConfig2.PNG connectionConfig3.PNG

I haven't connected specifically to a 1734-AENT before but I have used Codesys and EIP quite extensively, so I'll try to help!.

The next thing I would try is to change your EIP Input connection type to "Point to Point" instead of Multicast.

This didn't seem to make any difference. I have played with some other settings as well but so far my results are dry. Any other suggestions that come to mind?

Any luck?

Hello tmarion,

I'm struggling with something similar. I'm also using an AB PLC with a 1734 and I'm trying to communicate with a Raspberry PI. In my case I have my IO set as Adapter Modules and it seems that both the AB PLC and the RBPi recognize each other but I don't have any IO Communication on either of them.

I hope you can help me or at least light me up a little bit.

Thanks in advance! :geek:

tmarion, Cgarcia: can you try installing Wireshark in your RaspberryPi and get a short Wireshark trace? This will let you know what is wrong because if the RaspberryPi and the 1734 are not establishing an implicit connection, it means that the 1734 is sending an error response to the Forwared_open request from the Codesys EtherNet/IP scanner. ODVA and many Wireshark volunteers has developed and maintained an extremely good EtherNet/IP dissector, so it is possible to see why the EtherNet/IP adapter is unhappy as the response is fully decoded, so there is not even need to check the CIP specification for most cases. For example, wrong firmware version (actual firmware in device different from the version described in the EDS), wrong module, etc. If you post the Wireshark trace I can have a look at it for you.

Installing Wireshark in the Raspi is done with the command sudo apt-get install wireshark.
If you install VNC server in the Raspi you can operate it remotely with the VNC Client and Wireshark works like from Windows. The good thing about using the Wireshark in the Raspi is that you do not need an Ethernet tap or port mirroring switching hub.

20200821_Wireshark_FromRaspi.jpg

CGarcia, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I think that your question is different enough from the POINT I/O question months ago that you should create a new thread to discuss it.

Go to the main PLCTalk Q&A page, and click the green "Start a New Thread" button on the upper left, over the column of threads.

Provide as much detail as you can about the A-B controller and how you are connecting it to the Raspberry Pi and CoDeSys.

I've done some testing recently with the RPi/CoDeSys running the Adapter module and the ControlLogix as the "scanner", and that's fairly straightforward.

Using Raspberry Pi as the "scanner" for anything more complex than a very simple adapter, especially the complicated 1734 platform, is not as easy.

Thanks Ken Roach and AlfredoQuintero for your answers. As Ken suggested, I created a new threat, it'll be really helpful if you guys could keep helping me over there.

AlfredoQuintero, I'll try to install wireshark to the RPi, hopefully you can see something I missed and that solves my problem!

I really appreciate your help!

Hello tmarion:

I came to the office because the bug of curiosity stung me badly. I thought I would get this working realtively easy but it turned out to be harder to crack than I thought.
I saw your CIP path and this I think will not work. It is very different from the CIP path that CompactLogix uses. I did a wireshark trace of Logix and 1734 to see how the Logix sends the CIP path and then tried to create a user-defined CIP path in Codesys. But with the CIP path I am using in Codesys the 1734 crashes and stops communicating so needs to be powered on. There is something in this one configuration that is not understood by 1734.

I think the configuration I show below is "close" to the correct one but this needs careful determination of all parameters and I am sorry, but I cannot complete this setup as this need a little more investigation. But hope this will guide you to a solution. Unfortunately you are in a situation in which neither Rockwell nor 3S will help you probably, but I think the solution is not too far from here if you have the determination to complete the investigation.

I add the Wireshark traces and an explanation of what I tried to do. Thed ZIP file has the below traces:
Logic_CIPCM_only.pcapng (Only connection manager packets are shown)

Logix_1734.pcapng (this has some IO packets after connection establishment

And these are the user-defined CIP path setup that I tried but which crash the 1734. I hope you can improve this and get it working.

For your convenience, these are the full strings that I am using.

21 00 1c 03 24 11 01 02 34 04 01 00 07 00 85 00 83 01 20 04 24 7b 2C c2 2C c1 80 06 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00

21 00 1c 03 24 11 01 01 34 04 01 00 07 00 81 00 83 01 20 04 24 67 2C c2 2C c1 80 06 01 00 00 00 e8 03 e8 03 e8 03 e8 03

20200822_1734_IB2.jpg 20200822_1734_OB2E.jpg