Kinetix 5500 V7.001 and RS Studio 5000 V26

n0pe

Hi Everyone!

I'm having a bit of an issue setting up my new 2198-H015-ERS drive in RS Studio(running FW 7.001). Here's the rundown:

I have a 1756-L75 controlling this drive. After doing a bit of research, I realized I require at least V26 on the L75 and RS Studio to utilize this drive due to the firmware being V7.001 as indicated here:

M9Ngfiz.jpg

So, after installing RS Studio V26 and installing the appropriate EDS files, I would expect to be able to choose revision 7.001 when I add a new module. This isn't the case. The highest major revision I can choose is 3:

3DVTnqr.jpg

Does anyone know why this is? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It may be possible to upload a higher revision from the drive, once you are online with the PLC and establish comms to the drive. I did this recently with a Powerflex drive. In my case, I was using an old RSLogix program but a brand new drive so the revisions did not match anyway.

You will need to install the latest Kinetix AOPs (Add-On Profiles); Rev.4 and/or Rev5.

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?crumb=112

Type AOP within the 'Search' space and then choose/left-click Add-On Profiles from the returned list.
In the right pane click the 'Down Arrow' .
Select the relevant AOPs (see attached pic), download and install them on the machine running Studio5K.

@A_G - I will definitely try that once I'm next to the hardware if I can't figure anything else out.

@dmargineau - This has gotten me a lot closer. I know can choose major rev 4 and 5, but still not 7:

Z53n3jF.jpg

Any further suggestions?

That doesn't surprise me...Posted tech info accuracy following general info trends...:D...

If you cannot setup a 'live' environment (Studio5K PC connected to a powered up and networked drive) and 'Match the Drive' within the Module Properties, probably installing Studio5K V.29 or higher should do it.

You don't have to update the controller firmware, just install a software version which (hopefully) contains said AOPs; just make sure you install the entire software package and not some abbreviated, 'custom' executable schema.

Interesting.....I just got my butt kicked yesterday over a very similar thing.

We have an L71S version 28 that had a 5700 dual axis servo (2198-D032-ESR3 revision 5.001) which has been running for a year. The servo failed and was replaced with a version 7.003 - of course that caused a mismatch. As I tried to change the version, my ony choices were version 3, 4, 5.

I downloaded every EDS and AOP I could find - still no good.

"Matching" the drive was not an option.

I tried "disable Keying" - didn't work.

So I decided I need to ControlFlash the drive back to Rev5, but Rev's 3,4,5 are not options for ControlFlash. So I tried to download the firmware for rev5 and couldn't find it.

Just playing around, I changed my CLX to version 29. Now I could choose version 3,4,5,7. I then changed my version to 31 and I could also choose revision 9. Back to 28 - only 3,4,5. AB's website shows that revision 7 is compatible with version 26 and up.

Back against the wall, I finally gave up and did the regrettable - I started a chat session with AB. On a very interesting note, he told me that firmware for revisions 3,4,5 had been removed from AB's website. So over a 2-1/2 hour span, I downloaded the latest AOP update. I did all sorts of stuff - all failed. He insisted that revision 7.003 was clearly compatible with version 26 and up. He finally directed me to call into AB since this was getting too complicated for a chat session. Figuring that I was going to get stung again with the issue on other drives, I finally gave up and flashed my processor up to version 31. That came with some Wonderware Communication issues, but we can run that way.

So - I'd recommend you try changing your offline processor up to a higher version just to see if you can add you drive. That at least proves(I think it proves) that your computer has the proper AOP etc. Short of flashing your CLX, I don't know the solution. Please keep us informed if you find it.

From my chat session:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/894803
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/991023
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/765961

Last edited:
As I suspect we have the same issue, AB also had me look for this AOP update:

Search for '2198 CIP Motion Kinetix 5500/5700 Revision 5; v14.02' for the latest AOP that supports RDB Motors and EnDat encoders

I'm dealing with a 5700 - you're dealing with 5500 - but I think we're both dealing with the same AOP

I thought I would update people as I was dealing with support so I could get V29 downloaded and installed.

@dmargineau: You are correct. Installing V29 was the solution I needed. Once V29 was installed, the Kinetix 5500 defaults to version 7.001 in Studio 5000. We've added the drive without issue.

Thank you to everyone who has helped out!🍻