BootP server Disable Bootp button not working

unsaint32

Enable Bootp/DHCP works..
After I highlight the relation with a PLC, I click on "Enable BOOTP/DHCP" then I see "[Enable BOOTP] Command successful" message at the bottom. I can actually see in RSLinx that the device port configuration had been changed from "Manually configure IP settings" to "Obtain IP settings automatically using BOOTP."

Disable Bootp?DHCP does NOT work.
But when I click on "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change.

Why is that? Thanks for your help.

bootp.jpg

After I highlight the relation with a PLC, I click on "Enable BOOTP/DHCP" then I see "[Enable BOOTP] Command successful" message at the bottom. I can actually see in RSLinx that the device port configuration had been changed from "Manually configure IP settings" to "Obtain IP settings automatically using BOOTP."

Disable Bootp?DHCP does NOT work.
But when I click on "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change.

Why is that? Thanks for your help.

I think you have got this backwards....

BOOTP/DHCP is enabled by default on all modules.

Once you have assigned an IP address, it will stay until the power goes off. When it comes on again, (with BOOTP Enabled), you will have to re-assign the IP, either manually, or via a "relation list".

To make the module remember the assigned IP etc., you need to "Disable BOOTP/DHCP"

Ironically I had this same issue this morning. My solution was to right click on the relation in the lower box then on the drop down menu that pops up select Disable Bootp. Worked fine for me that way. Why it doesn't work the other way, haven't a clue.

Ironically I had this same issue this morning. My solution was to right click on the relation in the lower box then on the drop down menu that pops up select Disable Bootp. Worked fine for me that way. Why it doesn't work the other way, haven't a clue.

ENABLING BOOTP is irrelevant if you haven't DISABLED it.

BOOTP is the default power-up mode, unless it has been DISABLED.

The choice is simple -

If you want to have to assign your modules every power-up, either manually or automatically using a BOOTP/DHCP server, then ENABLE, or don't DISABLE BOOTP.

If you want the module to REMEMBER it's assigned IP settings, then once it has the IP settings you want, then you DISABLE BOOTP

I thought those enable/disable buttons were for the server DHCP/Bootp assignment and not physical device, .ie enable a BootP server instance for this MAC address and assign it an address, once it has the address it will stay till a power cycle or changing via RsLinx even if you click the disable button. I believe you still have to disable BootP on the PLC via RSLinx.

I could be wrong though I haven't used bootP much I normally just go over serial to set my IP.

I thought those enable/disable buttons were for the server DHCP/Bootp assignment and not physical device, .ie enable a BootP server instance for this MAC address and assign it an address, once it has the address it will stay till a power cycle or changing via RsLinx even if you click the disable button. I believe you still have to disable BootP on the PLC via RSLinx.

I could be wrong though I haven't used bootP much I normally just go over serial to set my IP.

No - those buttons send the required commands to the remote device to tell it to remember its IP settings (Disable BOOTP), or to put it into BOOTP mode (Enable BOOTP).

That is why you get a "Command Successfull" or otherwise response.....

No - those buttons send the required commands to the remote device to tell it to remember its IP settings (Disable BOOTP), or to put it into BOOTP mode (Enable BOOTP).

That is why you get a "Command Successfull" or otherwise response.....

Good to know, like I said I just normally use serial

Good to know, like I said I just normally use serial

You do exactly the same thing if you go serial, or whatever means, to get to the "Port Configuration" of a module...

Typically you will set IP address, DNS addresses, etc., then check the box to "Disable BOOTP/DHCP". That tells the module to remember the settings.

You are doing directly to the module what those buttons in BOOTP application do.

I read it that the OP Was attempting to DISABLE BOOTP by using that DISABLE BOOTP button and it was not working property. Ie it wasn't giving a COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message upon clicking on the button. BUT if they clicked on the ENABLE BOOTP button it WOULD give the COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message upon clicking on it. Which was the same issue I has this morning and I did what I described above in order to get the COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message and DISABLE BOOTP.

I read it that the OP Was attempting to DISABLE BOOTP by using that DISABLE BOOTP button and it was not working property. Ie it wasn't giving a COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message upon clicking on the button. BUT if they clicked on the ENABLE BOOTP button it WOULD give the COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message upon clicking on it. Which was the same issue I has this morning and I did what I described above in order to get the COMMAND SUCCESSFUL message and DISABLE BOOTP.

What I read was ...

"Disable Bootp?DHCP does NOT work.
But when I click on "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change."

Disabling BOOTP will not change anything in the current configuration. It simply tells the module to power-up next time with the remembered configuration.

He did not say the button command was successful or not.

I have heard of some modules that the RA BOOTP program has difficulties with, in which case you need to find an alternative means to Disable BOOTP on those modules, like attaching serially or via a web-page, for example. All the A-B modules I have ever come across accept the Disable BOOTP command

daba said:
I think you have got this backwards....

Daba,

It is possible that you might have their description of what they attempted backwards?...

If you read it carefully you may notice that they did not say that what they attempted was on a brand new out-of-the-box device, which we know may have BOOTP/DHCP enabled by default. Because they mention first attempting to enable BOOTP/DHCP, you appear to be of the thinking that they are mixing up what needs to be done, or not done, on a new and default device. This may not be the case here.

daba said:
What I read was ...

"Disable Bootp?DHCP does NOT work.
But when I click on "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change."...

But you did of course read the first paragragh prior to reading that? Let's have a look at it and see if my reading of it makes sense to you...

unsaint32 said:
After I highlight the relation with a PLC, I click on "Enable BOOTP/DHCP" then I see "[Enable BOOTP] Command successful" message at the bottom. I can actually see in RSLinx that the device port configuration had been changed from "Manually configure IP settings" to "Obtain IP settings automatically using BOOTP."...

Here is my reading of that...

They appear to me to have used a device that already had BOOTP/DHCP disabled and was not at its default out-of-the-box setting. This may have been a test on an existing device after an initial attempt to disable BOOTP/DHCP on a new device failed, or something to that effect. They have stated that in RSLinx Classic they could see that this device's status was initially showing...

Manually configure IP settings

This further supports the reading of this not being an out-of-the-box device at its default setting of BOOTP/DHCP enabled. This status tells us that the device already has BOOTP/DHCP disabled.

They then appear to attempt to test enabling BOOTP/DHCP on this device and then disabling again. When they performed the enable it appeared to execute sucessfully. The status showed...

[Enable BOOTP] Command successful

In RSLinx Classic they could now see that the device's status had changed from...

...to...

Obtain IP settings automatically using BOOTP

This confirms that the enable command was successful.

They then moved on to the second paragraph which you have focused upon...

unsaint32 said:
...Disable Bootp?DHCP does NOT work.
But when I click on "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change...

They then appear to have attempted to set this device back to its initial status of having BOOTP/DHCP disabled. When they executed the disable it appeared to do nothing...

unsaint32 said:
...I do not get any change. No change, no warning, no port config change...

I read this as meaning that for the disable execution they received no status update in the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility window or no error messages. When you execute a disable you should get a status reply to say if it was successful...

[Disable BOOTP] Command successful

I also read it as meaning that in RSLinx Classic, the device's "port config" status did not change back from...

Obtain IP settings automatically using BOOTP

...to...

An attempt to disable BOOTP/DHCP, on this particular "PLC" device, appears to have not been sucessful.

So their apparent test has shown that they can enable BOOTP/DHCP on an initially disabled device, but then they cannot disable BOOTP/DHCP on that device again, while using the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility software.

unsaint32 said:
...Why is that?...

That is the opening question that still stands. Why will it not disable?

Whoever's reading is off on this, I'm sure unsaint32 will set us all straight soon enough.

There can be a few reasons why the BOOTP/DHCP Server will be hit and miss; succeeding in one thing and failing in another. But before going deeper...

For a simple start...

If the button...

DISABLE BOOTP/DHCP

...does not appear to work then try right-clicking on the MAC address of the device in the Relation List and select...

Disable BOOTP/DHCP

See does that work? If not, then right-click the device in RSLinx Classic and select...

Module Configuration

...and then, depending on the device, navigate to the necessary port configuration settings and you should be able to choose to either disable BOOTP/DHCP or set a Static IP address. These are the same thing.

If none of that works we can look at other things.

While you are at it, could you please provide the full catalog number for this "PLC" device. You're around long enough now to know it's always best to provide such details up front and save this simple question from being asked.

If you do happen to get it disabled and don't care beyond that then I'll leave it there. If you do need further assistance, or you or others are interested, we can go further in pointing out other possible hurdles here.

I see many users here who are short patience when it comes to using this software utility and if they can get it done some other way then they'll head in that direction, letting them get on with what's left of their day. But there are some simple solutions which may work for some. You always have to remember that our workstation (PC) environments can be quite different from each other and that these environments can create complications for this relatively simple piece of software, which is often blamed in the wrong. It's not perfect, but it does need to operate in familiar surroundings.

Regards,
George

If you search this forum, you'll find that "Disable Bootp button not working" is a very common problem with newer versions of Rockwell software.

As has already been stated, the software is not perfect.

I have not once had those buttons work to enable or disable BOOTP.

Using the enable/disable BOOTP menu item works every time.

I wonder if whoever wrote this particular iteration of the BOOTP server just forgot to attach the code to those buttons :D

I have not once had those buttons work to enable or disable BOOTP.

Using the enable/disable BOOTP menu item works every time.

I wonder if whoever wrote this particular iteration of the BOOTP server just forgot to attach the code to those buttons :D

What version are you running ?

My Version is BOOTP/DHCP Server Version 2.3.2.0

Buttons work fine....

My apologies for not responding soon.

My second apologies for not clearly stating that my Bootp disabling was unsuccessful.

After reading the replies, I tried Bootp-disabling from the drop down menu (right clicking on the relation). And it worked perfectly. I got the message at the bottom of the BootP server software saying it was successful. RS Linx port config changed.

I didn't know the disable-bootp button often does not work as Bit_Bucket pointed out.

My RsLinx is 3.81.00 CPR 9 SR 8.1.

Thank you so much everybody for educating me.