DirectSOFT 6 Startup Function

Pumba

Hello,

I was wondering if DirectSOFT has a parameter that can be set so that during startup the processor will turn on in run mode.
Our problem is that everytime the machine cycles power, the processor will run in program mode, rather than run mode. This results in me having to reset the processor multiple times a week.
Maybe there is a preset parameter or a system bit that can be set to negate this action.

Thank you.

Any time any PLC comes up and does not go into run mode when it should, you have a power issue. Something is spiking the input power and making the PLC very unhappy.

1. Check to be sure that all coils, relays, contactors, solenoids, etc are properly suppressed by diodes, MOV's or other protective devices. CEMF spiking that is introduced on the power circuit(s) will cause damage eventually.

2. Check to be sure that all power wiring is not ran past VFD's, welders, radios or other RF producing devices. Wires are just great big antenna's and will pick up any RF that is present. Electronics and RF noise just don't mix well.

3. Make sure the PLC is properly grounded along with all other devices in the control panel.

Thank you !
We will look into these possibilities, we talked to Automation Direct's tech service not too long ago and they said it may be a corrupt processor.. our plan is to switch it with a MicroLogix anyway here in the near future.

If anyone has any other ideas I am still open ears.

Not sure what tech might have intimated something like that, but the processor is not corrupt. There is no such thing. If there was a processor issue it would not run at all.

It is a power issue, I would bet money on it. I would also bet that if you switch it out with a Micrologix that you will still have some sort of issue if the root cause with the power is not fixed.

A customer has machines with rotary tables. Some have MicroLogix 1000. Was called in for one them that randomly starts sequence after a power fail.
Checked program. Looks okay. Added a time delay to Start input, so operator needs to hold button for one second before sequence starts. I was still concerned, and recommended they replace PLC. They didn't. During a weekend storm, power cycled. Machine started by itself, ran pistons down into table, and destroyed it.
Replacing the PLC fixed it.

I have never seen a PLC randomly turn on an Input bit by itself, until this one. Didn't believe it was possible. There should be a cap that holds the CPU in reset until power supply stabilizes. My guess is power supply had failing caps, and it took a while to settle down.
Blindly thinking that converting to MicroLogix is the magic cure to problems is... well, you fill in the blank.
Similar logic observed in conversations between Ford and Chevy loyalists.