How to access boolean variable stored in memory word on wago plc via modbus tcp

dtruitt97

I am currently trying to integrate a Red Lion G3 display with a Wago 750-881 PLC. I have the bulk of the screens fleshed out, and I have most of the PLC code established, but I'm having some difficulty accessing boolean variables from the touch screen. I figured out how to translate %MW addresses to modbus 4xxxxx addresses, but the red lion will not recognize those addresses as booleans. I've been able to get the system mostly functional by setting these tags up as integer tags and using "complex code" that evaluates whether the current value of the tag is 0 or 1, but this approach feels sloppy and I would like to find a better way to handle this.

For those who may stumble upon this thread while researching a similar integration, simply add 12289 to the number of the memory word you are trying to access using the 4 prefix to access your integers. I'm not sure how you would go about accessing double integers / floats yet, but hopefully some other users will have some input and may be able to help out with that.