SMC Flex problem

Jean-Philippe

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with a SMC Flex SoftStart. When I put it ''ON'', they seems to work like a contactor: no ramp, the motor goes full speed. I try to run the motor with no load (empty mixer) and with load (full mixer). I get the same result. I tried to put the Ramp Time to 30s (max) but I have the same result. Can you give me some advices? Thank you!

If you have parameter 17 set for "Full Voltage", it wont matter what your ramp time is set for. If you have it set for "Current Limit", and the setting of your Current Limit is higher than the load needs to accelerate, it will not make a difference and it will be the equivalent of an Across-the-Line start, at least from what you can see without a scope.

Are you using an external bypass contactor? If so, make sure it isn't pulling in prematurely and is wired to the option board correctly.

Turn kickstart off for now to see if that has an effect

Lower the starting torque to see if that has an effect

If it still going full speed, the the softstart is detecting that the motor is at full speed and thus injects full voltage. Is anything else driving the load?

Here are my parameters:
-#17: SoftStart
-#18: 30s
-#19: 70%
-#20: 350 %FLC

@jraef: yeah, it seems to be across-the-line start...

OK, so here is what might be going on. robertmee is right, it may be related to the initial voltage setting, #19. A soft starter only controls voltage, not speed (contrary to popular belief). It can control current, and thereby torque, but it does that by controlling voltage. What affect that has on the motor acceleration is wholly dependent upon LOAD on the motor. So if the load is very light, even a fraction of the available torque from the motor may be enough to accelerate it faster than you want it to. This can sometimes be the case on mixers, if the mixing process involves a large change in viscosity. The motor torque capacity is selected based on the MAXIMUM viscosity that will be present at the END of the mixing process. When you first turn it on with only the base liquid in the vat, the motor is doing no real work compared to that final necessity. With the initial voltage set to 70% and the Current Limit (#20) set to 350%, it could be that because there is very little load on the motor at first, that motor torque is still much higher than the load needs to accelerate, so it accelerates immediately.

If you really think it is accelerating too fast, you can try turning the Initial Voltage down to a very low value, say 10%. All you want the Initial Voltage setting to do is to BEGIN rotating the shaft, even a tiny amount. Then as the ramp profile begins, it will accelerate it more slowly. If it still accelerates too fast for you, lower the Current Limit setting to slow it down. Just be aware that if you have a power loss when at the higher viscosity, the lower limits may cause it to stall. That starter has Dual Ramp profiles available, you could set up a "Start-Loaded" Start-Unloaded" condition response if it's a problem, but that means having some way to sense that condition. But before you go there, check with the machine designer. It might be that nobody worried about how fast it starts unloaded, they only have the soft starter there for what might happen if it has to RESTART when at higher viscosity.

PS: and yes, if Kick Start is enabled (#22-23), then turn it off, there is no need for it on this. The factory default is Disabled.

Last edited:
Has this soft starter worked before or is it a new set up?

What size is the soft starter, as the bigger ones have 2 sets of terminals on the bottom of the unit, the ones closer to the back of the unit are the controlled outputs, the ones to the front of the unit are at line voltage, as soon as you apply the power to the input of the drive these terminals will have power on them (used for inside delta, where on large motors with 6 wires you only control 3 wires going to the motor) see manual for a better explanation.

Alan