Allen-Bradley Micro830 analog output

rhfland

HI – I need to generate variable -10vdc to +10vdc output to a kinetix3 drive from a micro830 PLC. I have a 2080-IF2 and a 2080-OF2. I will have a single LVDT (variable voltage supply) as input to the IF2. I am controlling two drives with the single LVDT input but need to vary the speed of one drive slightly with respect to the other depending on a signal from a limit switch. Where do I start?

1. In your Microc 830 program, set up two Analog Outputs, set for -10 to +10 volt range.

2. For the first Kinetix3 drive, pass the signal through fromt the Input to the new voltage output.

3. For the second Kinetix3 drive, on your Analog Output rung, add the limit switch and calculatie whatever speed increase or reduction you need, then send this modified speed signal to the second analog voltage output.

...Just didn't know if the Micro830 had the capability.
The base Micro830 unit would not have the capability, but because you have the IF2 and OF2 add-on modules (up to a max of 5 depending on which unit you have), then you have everything you need for 2 analog inputs, 2 analog outputs, and at least 6 digital inputs.

Thanks again. You are the first person I have talked to that has actual knowledge of the Micro830 (that includes ALL of the AB tech support so far.) I will be in need of more help as I go along. Are you reliably reached through this "CHAT" ?

Thanks
Rob

Well, ahhm, yes, I am reliably reached here. But the only things I know about the Micro830 are what I read in about a minute looking at the Rockwell online information in order to answer your earlier question. I guess at this point I know more than you, so yes, I am willing to help you out.

You can educate yourself at the Micro800 link, and get it straight from the source:

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro800

Last edited:
I'd start by replacing the Micro830 with a MicroLogix 1100 :>) All kidding aside, I've been working on and off with an 830 and I'm very dissatisfied with CCW programming software. It's very buggy and difficult to figure out how to do things. I guess you gotta start somewhere but I think Rockwell could have done a better job at coming up with a new programming software

I guess you gotta start somewhere but I think Rockwell could have done a better job at coming up with a new programming software

I couldn't agree more. I've used 8 of the Micro800 series now and I've grown more aggravated with the software each time. Any money you save in low cost hardware is completely lost in time dealing with the software.

MicroLogix 1100 are a little bit more spendy but you can get "Freeware" programming software for them (and the 1000's)