Career Development UK

Itrim

Hi, I'm 23 and about to finish SVQ 3 in Electrical Enginnering. It happens that I end up in fish factory doing automation projects. The problem is that I have no qualifications to to this kind of work and I don't know where to go to get them.

I'm working mainly with Beckhoff, but we still use other brands in few places. I'm doing conveyors and pumps control. I menage to connect various kind of probes and devices via few communication methods(Ethercat, Hart, IO-Link, Ethernet/IP, TCP/IP) and send received data to my SQL server. I made simple SCADA and build control panels.

For now everything seems working fine and I'm still getting new toys to play from my employer, what means further practical development.

I'm looking for any kind of certificate to show if I leave my recent job, that I can do automation and to get more theoretical and 'how thing should be done according to procedures' knowledge.

On what I should focus for my further development?

That SVQ is completely useless. I didn't learn anything new and seems like after that I'm qualified to lay cables and wire motors.

Thanks.

From my experience you do not need one, unless it is a JLR, BMW or other big fish more valuable will be to have a good hands on experience rather than a piece of paper.

Each industrial automation equipment vendor have training packages available, you can buy it online and attend. Problem is they are usually expensive and price/added value is very low. The same you can achieve by downloading the software and playing with it at home using a lot of F1 button.

Another thing is that if you will get a junior position it is likely your employer will send you to one of those training courses anyway. Depends on the job and budget.

In this business experience is a key so if you have access to 'toys' it is the best and most valuable training.

Fish Factory? You somewhere on the west coast?

Do you do automation in house or use System Integrators?

You could try a C&G course, and get the employer to pay for your development..
https://learntechnique.com/course/city-guilds-plc/

Some of the SIs will run courses, either general or specific, but they would have to paid for. Here are a few that may do something:
iTech in Troon
Elite Controls in Livingston
Routeco in East Kilbride

I know that the Caledonian Uni used to run PLC training, but cannot recall if it was a standalone module.
You could ask around at the various further education colleges to see if they have any courses. They may even be lumped in on instrumentation courses.

Many of the courses should cover the basics of PLC programming, and may be generic in nature, or specific to one manufacturer.
The main thing is to get experience, which it sounds as though you are, and build up to what you can do, and can talk about what you do, if you want to move on.

If you're going to spend money in training, I would skip the training courses from brands altogether and follow Chopin's advice to learn their packages.

If you want to develop yourself, you should learn (you didn't mention this) IP networking as that will be a requirement in the future. It doesn't have to be anything very in depth, but understanding the difference between router and switch, how to segregate networks, etc... will be useful.

If you are working in machinery and not just programming (electrical design and such), perhaps having an understanding of machine safety standards and so on would be quite valuable. These can also be expensive courses, but I'm sure there will be cheaper ones to introduce you to these aspects without a professional certificate.

Lastly, only short sighted companies will look at your paperwork and decide whether to hire or not. Most will bring you in and assess you on a lot more than your ability to program X and Y. For some, the most important aspect may actually be your behaviour towards safety and not the technical bits at all.

Hi Itrim

Most employers are looking for at least HNC these days so you could get one of those if you employers is willing to fund it. The experience you gain from working in automation for your employer will be demonstrated during interview stages when you are asked questions by the employer. If you have numerous projects under your belt you will be confident in your own skills and this will also come across. Should you get a skills test you will fly through it with the experience you gain.

1 piece of advice - make your self a little site book either in word or excel and note down problems you have/tell yourself how you did things and make your self little trouble shooting manuals that you can come back to when you haven't used a piece of equipment for a while, in this way you will retain a lot more and have reference material to help you keep improving.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Drew

Fish Factory? You somewhere on the west coast?

Do you do automation in house or use System Integrators?

Northern Isles. This's mine problem. Not a chance to get any good course or training here, but I can't afford leave island for too long. No employer will let is employee leave workplace for too long and still get paid for that. I think 2 weeks at best plus maybe a month if I take all my holidays.

I'm buying devices from various brands and trying to stitch them together. I'd say that 70% of automation is done in house, rest is pre-build like air compressors and big stacking robots.

Thanks for answers.

Last edited:
Ah Ok Itrim, I get your problem.

Bit remote even for H&I colleges like Thurso?

So self-taught it may have to be to build your experience, but don't be feart to ask questions if you need help....

I did my B.Eng in Mechatronics at Sligo Institute of Technology, online. I think now you can do it 100% online. I had to attend 4 days for practicals and then exams.