Most up to date Logix 5000 to begin again

Sherlock4me

Getting back into programming. I have sporadic experience in programming from the SLC 500's in the early 90's to relearning StudioLogix in 2014, which helped me get a job where I only used my Instrumentation and Controls skills, not PLC's.

Now I want to purchase a fully capable Logix Designer 5000 software license as opposed to what I think was called mini as I did last time, then buy a PLC and get back to my area of 20 years in Water and Waste Water controls.

I will be checking other sources due to the amount of investment required (maybe $4,000 for the software now???)

I thought the fully capable software was 5 grand last time, but I saw prices for 3,400 on line today, but question that.

So my question is this, Are we due a massive Rockwell change soon? Is Logix designer the way to go, (I will also get advice from the salesman, and be purchasing a PLC as well to return to full steam in programming, then an HMI and etc...)

I have limited experience in LOGO and expect to concentrate on Rockwell.

Also, serious thanks to you all for all the help around 014, it helped me get a job for Colorado Springs Utilities. Any advice is welcomed.

Jeff

You can rent a package (5, 500, 5000) for 1 year for circa £700. If you just want studio 5k outright, I would go for the 'lite' compactlogix only software (£~800) and buy an L16ER (~£620), to play about with and refresh your memory.

Bear in mind you get access no matter what you buy to previous versions of the software.

Logix designer is definitely going to be around for a long time. They've got way too much invested in it, and ALL of the current (loose term) PLCs beyond the Micro800 series use it.

Can't wait to call Tuesday and see if I can rent the Logix Designer 5K in the U.S. once I use free references to re-remember PLC models, basic GUI navigation and etc... to delay stating the rental clock until I regrasp simple basics.

I remember now, it was the mini I bought last time with a small brick and given the restrictions, I recall wishing I'd taken the full plunge.

Thanks again guys, what a site!

In case anyone follows this tread, I was able to get a quote on various levels of Logix 5000 at an annual rental price as opposed to buying. In the event that this works for you, it is far and away the most practical solution in my particular case at this time.