Mixing Servo Motor and Amplifier Vendors?

sbaum

We have a system using a Omron G5 Servo. The motor has failed and Omron has advised the delivery time 4 months for a new motor!

I'm not overly familiar with servo systems and vendors. Is it possible to purchase a servo motor from another vendor to get this machine going?

The servo amp is a Omron R88D-KN50F-ECT which is a 5kw 400V EtherCAT driver.

I don't know much about Omron, but every other servo vendor I have worked with accommodates 3rd party motors. The exception is Yaskawa. The biggest thing is getting the feedback to match.

It is rare for a servo motor to fail. How did it fail? Bearings? A motor shop that works on servos can do certain repairs.

G5 servos are Panasonic. Perhaps they can help.

Thats good to know. I think its bearings so yes we are going to see about repair and also they need to address the mounting as the motor is only 3 years old so obviously there's a radial or other misalignment taking out the bearing.