Kinetix 350 / Ethernet/IP with a CompactLogix 1769-L18ER

Good Afternoon ,

I modified a machine. Replaced a MicroLogix 1500 with a CompactLogix 1769-L18ER-BB1B , and added 3) PowerFlex 40 Drives / Ethernet/IP drives.
I took notice that I have 2 SEW Motors that I would like to replace with Servo Motors. I am looking at Kinetix 350 Servo Drives. I was told from my AB supplier that I will need a 1769-L18ERM-BB1B for motion. I am using a CompactLogix L18ER just fine with 3 PowerFlex 40 Drives with Ethernet . I am able to control speed , acceleration , deceleration , etc. just fine with the L18ER. My question is , do I really need the 1769-L18ERM , to tell the Kinetix 350 to drive the servo from 22mm to 32mm ?

Thanks so much.

Take Care,

Yes to control the K350 you will need to use CIP motion and to do that you need a CompacLogix with a "M" in the part number.

For the drives you are turning bits on and of to control them, for motion controls you will need to use the motion instructions.

Alan

Your AB rep is correct but he isn't telling you the whole story. You do, in fact need an L18ERM in order to use the Kinetix 350. But that is because the K350 is a CIPMotion only drive, therefore requiring a motion plc. The drive variant you are looking for is the Kinetix 300. The K300 can act as a slave device on an Ethernet/IP network. This would allow you to send speed commands to the drive from your L18ER. You can also do some simple point to point motion with the K300 triggered from the plc.

Thanks for the information. I have a overall travel distance of 0 to 37 mm. On the HMI I would like to have the operator select to go to 26 mm , and the drive
would travel 26 mm. So the PLC will be telling what position to travel to , instead
Instead of speed. So I can still tell it to go to position , like I tell it to go a certain speed , correct ?

Thanks for the information. I have a overall travel distance of 0 to 37 mm. On the HMI I would like to have the operator select to go to 26 mm , and the drive
would travel 26 mm. So the PLC will be telling what position to travel to , instead
Instead of speed. So I can still tell it to go to position , like I tell it to go a certain speed , correct ?

Yes you can do that with a K300.

The big difference between a K300 and K350 is that a K300 cannot do interpolated motion, as in you cannot (without some very fancy math within your program) program it to do a Cam style movement. If you just need it to go from position X to position Y, accelerating to a fixed speed and then decelerating to a stop a K300 will be able to do this.

I did a mistake and bought Kinetix 350 for my AB 1769-L30ER controller. Now, I just understood I can't control the servo driver by this controller through Ethernet/IP.

So, if I buy a Kinetix 300, can I control it through Ethernet/IP without any problem? can I use all servo drive features?

You can use all the features of the Kinetix 300, including its network-controlled indexing functions.

But the Kinetix 300 and the 1769-L30ER (not -ERM) do not support CIP Motion and the Motion instruction set of Logix 5000.

Yes you can do that with a K300.

The big difference between a K300 and K350 is that a K300 cannot do interpolated motion, as in you cannot (without some very fancy math within your program) program it to do a Cam style movement. If you just need it to go from position X to position Y, accelerating to a fixed speed and then decelerating to a stop a K300 will be able to do this.
what is the Cam style movement? what is its purpose that we can't do that with Kinetix 300?

You can use all the features of the Kinetix 300, including its network-controlled indexing functions.

But the Kinetix 300 and the 1769-L30ER (not -ERM) do not support CIP Motion and the Motion instruction set of Logix 5000.
You mean with Kinetix 300 and L30ER I can't use Studio 5000 motion control instruction?
So, how can I control the motion?

You cannot do networked gearing, or camming, or coordinated motion between axes with a Kinetix 300 motion controller. It's a simple point-to-point indexer.

If you have only one axis of motion to control, it is probably appropriate.

Instead of trying to explain broad definitions of motion control terminology, it might be best if you explain your application.

You cannot do networked gearing, or camming, or coordinated motion between axes with a Kinetix 300 motion controller. It's a simple point-to-point indexer.

If you have only one axis of motion to control, it is probably appropriate.

Instead of trying to explain broad definitions of motion control terminology, it might be best if you explain your application.
I only want to control AB servo drive with my existing 1769-L30ER controller and practice all studio 5000 motion instructions.

The Kinetix 300 and the 1769-L30ER are not appropriate for learning the ControlLogix motion control instruction set because they do not support ControlLogix motion instructions.

If you have a Kinetix 350 and you want to learn ControlLogix motion, you need a ControlLogix or a CompactLogix controller with an "M" in the part number.

The Kinetix 300 and the 1769-L30ER are not appropriate for learning the ControlLogix motion control instruction set because they do not support ControlLogix motion instructions.

If you have a Kinetix 350 and you want to learn ControlLogix motion, you need a ControlLogix or a CompactLogix controller with an "M" in the part number.
I got it. Tnx