SSI Encoder issues

JFelectric

hi.

i have a AB PLC5 communicating to a Control Techniques Unidrive SP via MODBUS. the Unidrive is connected to an absolute encoder via SSI.

the encoder cable got ripped apart, blowing fuses. I had spare VFD, Encoder, & Cable on site in case this happened. the customer decided to try and fix it themselves, to no avail.

i cant get communitation/ feedback from either the old, or new encoder via a laptop (ive done this a few times before, i know what im doing) . turns out (from their reports) the "new" cable had an intermittent short between the 24VDC and CLOCK-. could this wreck the encoder completely?

How do you communicate to an SSI encoder with the laptop? Is it through the drive or a specific protocol?

I've had the opposite problem to you, the clock signal went to ground, and the encoder survived... but the internal construction of the encoder is likely to be completely different.

Do you have a brand new assembly to test this on?

yes i had all brand new assy. but staff managed to damage logic driver on new encoder. hence no communication. want their fault tho, new cable was faulty

so third new encoder and i had them off to the races

sorry for the late reply