Can Protool RT and Softnet S7 live in harmony together ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I am using Protool RT and Simatic Softnet S7 OPC on separate PCs.
I was wondering if the two software packages can operate on the same time on the same PC.
Protool will be using the internal S7 driver (not the OPC driver).
Will that work ?

My aim is to let the PCs be backups for each other.
If the OPC PC goes down it can run from the Protool PC, and vice-versa.

Thanks for that link Paul (y)

It allmost answers my question.

It says that it IS possible.
Only, it is more involved than I hoped for.
I was thinking that I could just start the Protool RT application on the OPC PC, and then they will live happily side by side.
According to the instructions in that link, I have to set up the Protool project in the "station" that I have to create on the OPC PC.

I have a suspicion that it can be a little bit simpler than that:
Maybe I only have to set up a "PC" (in stead of a "Protool RT" project) as an unconfigured connection on the station. And then RT can connect via that.
It will take some experimenting to find out. Only problem is to find the time to do that ( *sigh* ).

JesperMP said:

It allmost answers my question.

I had a feeling that it would only 'almost' answer your question. But at least it showed you that it is possible to have two connections from the same PC.

If you do find an easier way, can you post your results here please, you never know when a bit of info like that will come in handy.

Paul

I am not completely fazed by the many steps I have to go thru according to that instruction. After having grasped how to set up OPC via Simatic Softnet S7 then you will be deterred by NOTHING (well, almost nothing).

I shall try to remember to post my results here. But I can give no firm date when that will be.