Serial discontinued on ControlLogix?

I'll look into the Prosoft stuff and see if it will work for our application. I was hoping that I could keep things simple. I hadn't realized AB stopped using DF1 on ALL the current processors. :(

The 5570 ControlLogix series was released in November 2011; it was the first series without a RS232 port, however, it was the first one to provide the user with an USB interface.

5580 ControlLogix series was released in 2015; in addition to the USB port L8x CPUs provide an on-board 1Mbps Ethernet port.

The 5560 series was the last ControlLogix CPU containing a Serial RS232 port; L6xs were available up until 6/1/2017 and discontinued thereafter.

For the OP, as far as I know the USB is strictly for program support - not a port that can be accessed by the user program like the serial port could/can. Unless something has changed, in which case things will start getting interesting.

There are a couple of serial port modules in the 1732 series that may help: 1732-232ASC and 1732-485ASC.

The Micrologix 1100 & 1400 can still do serial communication. As well as the Micro800 series.

I haven’t found that I have missed it. Even talking to printers and scale heads I’ve moved everything to Ethernet.

What are you trying to accomplish?

The Micrologix 1100 & 1400 can still do serial communication. As well as the Micro800 series.

I haven’t found that I have missed it. Even talking to printers and scale heads I’ve moved everything to Ethernet.

What are you trying to accomplish?

This project has to be ControlLogix, and it needs to talk over a modem.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=781957#post781957
I had started another thread about options to use the already installed L82E.
A lot of solutions were presented. I was hoping to keep it simple and was looking and downgrading the processor. But it doesn't look like that's an option.