Siemens Programming Cable Pinout

kittydog42

I acquired (5) 6ES7-216-2AD00-0XB0, Simatic S7 216-2 PLC that I would like to program. I do have a version of Simatic S7 programming software that most likely will work; we used to use a large volume of S5's and were given software at one point by our distributor in an attempt to convert to S7, along with some demo kits. The only issue may be the age of the software or hardware as far as compatibility. Anyway, I can't find any documentation online for this model as it is discontinued. I also don't know if the old RS-232 to Current cable I used to use for the S5 will work. This PLC has two DB9 connectors on it, which is different. Thanks if you can help with the pinout or any documentation links on this PLC.

I do have a version of Simatic S7 programming software that most likely will work
S7-200 needs the Step 7 MicroWIN software, Step 7 is for programming S7-300/400, which is a completely different animal.
I also don't know if the old RS-232 to Current cable I used to use for the S5 will work.
No, it most certainly won't. S5 uses 20mA current loop for the programming port while S7 uses RS485.
This PLC has two DB9 connectors on it, which is different.
Both ports are PPI or Point-to-Point-Interfaces. These are based on RS485. The pinout is as follows:
  1. Logic Common
  2. Logic Common
  3. RS485 signal B
  4. Not Connected
  5. Logic Common
  6. +5V (over a 100 Ohm series resistor)
  7. +24V
  8. RS485 signal A
  9. Not Connected
You can link several S7-216s in this fashion:
PPI.gif

Kind regards,

Thanks for the information.

It turns out that I have the MicroWIN software, but I think that the firmware version on the PLC's is newer than the software can work with. I may need to upgrade if I want to use these for anything.