Control Logix - Warehouse Temperatures

Elo76

What is the best way to get warehouse temperatures back to the PLC?

The problem is that these are spread out pretty far from each other. My first instinct was to.

1. Add some remote I/O in the warehouse. Possibly Flex and bring them back to the panel and then Ethernet to the Main. There would still be alot of signal wire and panel placement would be difficult since they are scattered.

2. Does some sort of Ethernet Temperature sensor exits? Possibly one that I can daisy chain to minimize wiring.

Just looking for what others have done in this situation. Production wants to install some sort of Hobo wireless system but then it's not on the PLC and that means it's not on our historian. This system would also have a yearly fee associated with it.

Just looking for another solution here. Any ideas?

Thanks!

How about a Flex I/O temperature sensor, run the Etherenet to a WiFI access (or range extender with a port) connected to the plant WiFi?

That would be ok if we were on the plant network. We have our own separate control network here. We will probably have to run fiber to get to the warehouse.

Do you have a part number for this flex i/o temp sensor?

E&H and Emerson both have wireless HART temp transmitters that work in a mesh configuration up to about 600ft between transmitters (line of sight). So, even if a transmitter can't "see" the gateway antenna, it will bounce off of other transmitters until it gets there.

They are battery operated and have a battery life of around 7 years, depending on update time, but I can't imagine you'll be polling warehouse temps very often (maybe once a min?). Also being battery operated they are really easy to install and move around. No conduit, no cabinets, no I/O.

The gateway is Ethernet and can connect to a PLC. Emerson's will support 100 devices (not sure about E&H). The antenna can be remote mounted for better reception.

Cost was around $6k for the last Emerson gateway I installed about 2 years ago. No reoccurring costs, fast install time.

Last edited:
Have you looked at IO-Link? I just put in some IO-Link flow meters that send flow and temperature back to the PLC over Ethernet and they work great. I'm not sure what the distance limitation is between the sensor and IO-Link hub is though.