You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:53 PM   #31
AleArg
Argentina

We noticed that the problem appeared when activating a 24Vdc 36watt coil. That's 1.5 amps. The module was OW. Instead of a surge suppresor, we install a relay with embedded surge supression in the coil, an a diode in antiparallel in the relay contact. No more problems in 8 months. We also had issues in AI modules, solved by wiring to ground the negative of the 24vdc power supply.
Old September 19th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #32
dave5777
United States

I'm having the exact same issue with a rack with 11 5069-OW16, wish I would've went with 5069-OB16 and relays instead like I normally do. I've installed 6 5069 racks and this is the first time I've had any hardware issues and the first time I used the 5069-OW16.
Old September 19th, 2020, 10:00 AM   #33
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5777 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue with a rack with 11 5069-OW16, wish I would've went with 5069-OB16 and relays instead like I normally do. I've installed 6 5069 racks and this is the first time I've had any hardware issues and the first time I used the 5069-OW16.
Be sure to give that feedback to Rockwell.
Old November 20th, 2020, 01:10 PM   #34
jbaron76
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstolaruk View Post
I use the FPD to isolate motion and non-motion output power; typically the FPD is powered when safe conditions exist (safety relay).
This is exactly what the FPD is for. It is not a power supply, and cannot help provide more field power to your modules. However, it can also be used to split up field power among groups of modules to keep from having too many modules on one circuit.
Old November 20th, 2020, 01:16 PM   #35
jbaron76
United States

I just had this exact problem with a new install. We converted an old SLC control system to a 5069 CompactLogix system. Almost every time an E-Stop is pressed the local rack (connected to the processor) has faults across several modules. There are 2 OW16 modules in that rack that power inductive loads on all outputs (starters and solenoids). Rockwell has not done a good job of warning users on this issue. Most users replace like-for-like modules in a conversion without worrying about rare issues like this. Most of us are concerned more about contact current ratings and wiring differences. This never happens when converting to ControlLogix. Of course when I complain to Rockwell about this they will point to their wiring guide where it recommends snubbers on all relay modules and divest themselves of any responsibility to make it right. One thing this does is push users away from these products. If I now have to worry about doing an in-depth analysis of each IO point in an existing system to test for all possible crazy issues like this, my cost estimates for PLC conversions will be cost-prohibitive for most customers. I am disappointed to say the least.
Old November 20th, 2020, 02:37 PM   #36
FactoryTalktotheHand
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstolaruk View Post
I found in the last 5069 commission that the inut modules are very sensitive to noise on the input signal wires; more so than 1769 or 1734 inputs. Extra care had to be taken to route wiring father away from vfd output wiring than in the past.
I've been told the Gigabit backplane of the 5069 system is in general much more susceptible to noise than previous generation I/O.
Old November 20th, 2020, 10:05 PM   #37
rupej
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryTalktotheHand View Post
I've been told the Gigabit backplane of the 5069 system is in general much more susceptible to noise than previous generation I/O.
Interesting- I never put it together than it would have anything to do with the Gigabit backplane. That would make a lot of sense and help explain why these seem to be so much more sensitive in general than the previous generation.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum