RS Logix 5000

Jim G.

I need to buy RS Logix 5000 to put on a new laptop. With the equipment I have, I don't need Studio 5000 right now. I have read on this forum and others about versions of RSLogix 5000 version 20 that have given problems during install. Which version 20 would be best suited for my use? and give me the minimum hassle to install. Thanks

Studio 5000 is RSLogix 5000. They are the same program. It just changed names after version 20. And yes, version 20.04 clears up the issues between 20.01 and 20.03. So everything up to version 20 = RSLogix 5000. Everything from version 21 up = Studio 5000. The only difference is that starting in version 27, Studio 5000 included the View Designer which is for the new Panelview 5500 terminals. One day, the Panelview 5500s will be worth buying, but not for a while.

Also, keep in mind that there are processors starting to come out that will not work with RSLogix version 20. The new Control Logix 5580 processors require a minimum of version 28. If you get newer processors in the future, your copy of RSLogix might not work with them.

Last edited:
Studio 5000 is RSLogix 5000. They are the same program. It just changed names after version 20. And yes, version 20.04 clears up the issues between 20.01 and 20.03. So everything up to version 20 = RSLogix 5000. Everything from version 21 up = Studio 5000. The only difference is that starting in version 27, Studio 5000 included the View Designer which is for the new Panelview 5500 terminals. One day, the Panelview 5500s will be worth buying, but not for a while.

Also, keep in mind that there are processors starting to come out that will not work with RSLogix version 20. The new Control Logix 5580 processors require a minimum of version 28. If you get newer processors in the future, your copy of RSLogix might not work with them.

+1 to this.

FWIW, the license you buy to get v20 of RSLogix 5000 is the same license for every other version of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Logix Designer. As long as your support contract is current, you can download all the other versions and use them as well.

I would definitely recommend getting as many versions as you can - if you come across an older PLC that you don't have an opportunity to upgrade the firmware on, you may need them. And it'd be better to have that sorted in advance. Anecdotally I've heard that you have less issues if you install all the RSL5K/Studio 5k verisons in ascending order - in any case, I've always done it that way and not had any issues.