CTC 2700 Series Cam Tables

kamenges

We have been contracted to upgrade the control system on a towel folder. The machine is currently controlled using a CTC 2700 series automation controller. There are several servo axes used for cutting and tucking applications. They are all set up to operate using camming during normal operation. The servo axes are interfaced through 2219 servo cards.

I have not been able to find any information on the CTC camming function. It looks like cam information is set up in rows. There is a low limit and a high limit for what I THINK is master travel and a single entry for what I ASSUME is slave relative motion over the given master interval. There doesn't appear to be an entry for interpolation type which leads me to believe that the controller is executing some magic behind the scenes to blend cam segments together while maintaining the travel relationship. This is supported by the fact that each cam row contains information about the previous and next cam row. I get the "next" entry as the system needs to know what cam row to execute next. But the previous is only important if you need to blend relationships between rows.

Does anyone have any information on how the cam function is supposed to operate? I manual would be really cool but from what I have seen so far that may be asking too much.

Thanks,
Keith

I heard back from CTC on this. They say there is no blending between cam row entries. The user needs to enter a sufficient number of rows to get the motion they are looking for with reasonable transition smoothness.

I guess I've heard Peter talk about the way the RMC handles cams enough that is has skewed my view of the way cams are (should be) handled.

Keith