RSLogix 5000 Emulate - no RSLinx Enterprise Slot

Saulo35

Hi,

I was able to download the PLC program to RSLogix 5000 Emulate and run it, but I am unable to connect FactoryTalk View in "Test Program" mode with the Emulator. No matter what screen I open I get error messages saying that tag xxx is unresolved (all tags).

I believe the reason is I am missing the RSLogix Enterprise "module" in the emulator chassis. I only have the Emulator "processor module" and the RSLinx Classic "module".

Both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic services are running.

I tried everything (I think) such as uninstalling Emulate, reinstalling, deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\RockwellAutomation\VirtualBAckplaneMonitor from the Registry, etc.

At one point I got an RSLinx Enterprise "module" in the emulator chassis, but it's gone and I can't remember what I did.

Here are the details:

• Windows XP Professional SP3
  • RSLinx Classic 2.59.02
  • RSLogix 5000 Emulate 21.03.00
  • FactoryTalk View Studio 7.00.00
  • RSLogix 5000 17 through 20.01
  • RSLinx Enterprise 5.60.00

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

RSLinx Classic --> Map DDE/OPC Topic to Virtual Backplane with [topic]

FTVSE --> Add OPC DataServer on localhost (assuming it is all running on same node)

FTVSE --> Tag Browse --> Refresh All Folders --> Find Topic

For testing use FactoryTalk Live Data Test Client as well to see connection to Emulated instance.

Thank you for your comments.

To xCOMMANDOx:

Opened RSLinx Classic, went to DDE/OPC Topic Configuration.
Found a Topic with the same name as the controller name in RSLogix 5000, [ControllerName].
Under the Data Source tab, the tree looked like this:

Workstation, [COMPUTERNAME]
Linx Gateways, Ethernet​
AB_VBP-1, 1789-A17/A Virtual Chassis​
05, Workstation, RSLinx Server​

Clicked (and highlighted grey) AB_VBP-1 in the tree and clicked on Apply.
Started RSLogix 5000 Emulate. No RSLinx Enterprise yet, just "RSLinx Software" on slot 5.
Closed RSLinx 5000 Emulate.

Opened FTVS. Added an OPC Data Server called PEC001 on localhost. OPC Server Name (ProgID) I picked "RSLinx OPC Server" from the list.
Server "Primary Status" = "Not loaded" (?)
Started RSLogix 5000 Emulate. Same as before.
In FTVS Opened a Tag Browser. Refreshed all folders. All other projects folders appeared, including one with the same name as [ControllerName]. The Device Shortcut name is different from the [ControllerName].
RSLogix 5000 Emulate still w/o RSLinx Enterprise.
Test Application still can't connect to the emulator.
Started FactoryTalk Live Data Test Client. Under "Initial Connection", picked "FactoryTalk". Under "Add Item" the tree shows both a folder for [ControllerName] and [DeviceShortcutName]. Picked the same tag from both. The tag picked from [ControllerName] shows "Bad Quality" while the one picked from [DeviceShortcutName] shows "Not connected".

Please ask me for more details if needed. I am sure I am leaving something out.

Thank you.

Last edited:
To Operaghost: From the Help/About panel, I am using FactoryTalk View Studio, Release Number 7.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 6). Patch/Pack Number 00, Build Number 13.

The application came to me as an .MER file.

Thank you

OK. now it works!

In RSLinx Classic, created a new topic named same as [DeviceShortcutName]. Then pointed it to the Emulator "processor module".

In FTVS, I deleted OPC Data Server "PEC001" and created a new one. I named it with the same name as the [DeviceShortcutName]. All tags in "Connections" are of the form {[DeviceShortcutName]tag_name}.

Then deleted the RSLinx Enterprise server.

Thank you for your help.