RSLogix Ethernet Module Status

Schnider

Hi,

I have am working on a project to automate a mine site. There are a number of PLCs with EN2Ts, EN2TRs and ENBTs. I am trying to write an AOI to check the status of any one of these Ethernet cards and report if they have an IP address assigned, are healthy, are connected to the network, etc...

I am not looking to check that comms are healthy to all my remote devices. I am doing that with separate logic.

My plan is to generate a health/fault bits to indicate that the Ethernet module is healthy and running and use it to mask alarms for comms faults to remote devices.

I know there are multiple options to check the status of the modules – GSV instructions and CIP MSG instructions. Could anybody suggest the best method or most common practice method for detecting Ethernet module health status?

Cheers,
Nick

GSV would be the way to go for module status. EIP Diagnostics is a helpful network tool. It uses an AOI and global object.

The library of process objects have L_CPU and task monitoring objects. And a really neat DLR global object for device level ring diagnostics.

Thanks p_Logix.

I have reverse engineered the EIP Diagnostics tool from the PAX Library, however, this is slow to generate a concise Healthy/Faulted status as it slowly cycles through all of its MSG operations. Additionally, where did the guys who wrote that block get all the information to write it? I have not found it documented anywhere for any of RSLogix's hardware.

With the GSV instructions, I assume you are referring only to the Module - EntryStatus object attribute?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but this only reports that the PLC is communicating with the module, but not that the module itself is healthy, configured correctly or attached to the network (via cable).

Cheers,
Nick