Ab nat

wa5yom

I am researching AB NAT devices...I have not had a need for a NAT until recently...so I am still learning...
Is the 1783-NATR a 1:1 Layer 2 device? I need to translate to and from the NAT, which I believe is a 1:1 Layer 2.
The Stratix 5700 specifically mentions this but I cannot find a comparison table that shows the different features of their NAT's.
Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks
Tim

I have not used the 1783-NATR device because I haven't tried to use a DLR system yet. I've thought about it, but the extra $500+ a per drive really makes it hard to justify. But anyway, from what i have seen reading the manual from the 1783-NATR, it looks like a pretty simple device to setup. But again, i have no experience.

My standard go to for NAT is the 9300-ENA. It is very simple to setup, seems to be reliable, and works very well. I probably have 10+ of them running for the last 3 years with zero issues. From what i see, the only advantage with 1783-NATR has is the ENA doesn't support DLR systems without purchasing an 1783-ETAP.

I tried using a Stratix5700 with NAT, but in my opinion it was rather complicated, was poorly documented, and i just didn't have a good experience with it. I tried when they first came out, so it may be a better now. I finally got it to work, but i just didn't find it worth the effort considering how easy the 9300-ENA was.

Last edited:
So...would all these be 1:1 Layer 2?...meaning you can translate in and out of the NAT?

I know for a fact the 9300-ENA works in both directions. I used it to place my PC on our corporate network for access while commissioning equipment behind the NAT.

I know for a fact the 9300-ENA works in both directions. I used it to place my PC on our corporate network for access while commissioning equipment behind the NAT.

It allows communications both ways but you only translate one way. The 5700 allows translation both ways without a need for a default gateway on the private side end devices.