PVP 600 Screensaver using Global Connections

JZerb

new to PLC programming, new to the forum. have been lurking and learning for a bit and am excited to learn as much as i can here, now for my first question.

i attempted to change the ssfloat.bmp on a pvp 600 that im programming and i have had no luck with attempting to follow what others have stated has worked for them online here. with that being said, i have now switched gears to try and get the same result a different, from what i can see also more effective, way.

i want to, i assume here, create a global connection to have a screen POP up with my companies logo on it and act as a 'screensaver'. the way ive written the test ladder logic i have a timer that looks to make sure the outputs in the test program have been off for a certain set time, once that timers bit is done that sets a binary bit and off of that binary bit i would like to have FTView studio pop up a screen with the company logo on it until someone touches the screen, at which time i was going to set the GoToDisplay button to return to the main menu of the PVP application.

im hoping this makes sense, thank yous.

Keep it simple. Change the screensaver AB logo to your logo. Let the inbuilt system do the work it was designed to do.

If it's a PVP 7 you can use the Windows CE environment to copy and change the screensaver. I havn't tried the batch file method myself yet, but going the CE route is super simple.

im sorry i should have specified above that it was a PVP 600.

i attempted to use the AB logo screensaver method, but im having an issue somewhere along the lines and i cant seem to quite figure it out.

i attached a screenshot of the exact code i used as the .bat file.
i then add that .bat file along with the .bmp of the new logo directly onto the main directory of my 4gb USB flash drive.
plug it into the PVP and it immediately loads the windows ce environment screen and comes back with an error at the end of both lines of code saying : File Not Found

i would like to be able to use this method because as you described above, keep it simple, but i just cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong here.

im sorry i should have specified above that it was a PVP 600.

You did specify that. You didn't specify whether it was a PVP 6 600, PVP 7 600, etc. The difference is firmware/option sets. PVP 6's don't come with the Windows CE environment. 7 and above it comes standard (As far as I know).

plug it into the PVP and it immediately loads the windows ce environment screen and comes back with an error at the end of both lines of code saying : File Not Found

If it has the Windows CE environment, then it is a PVP 7 or above. IMO since it is a PVP 7 using the Windows CE method IS the easier route. No guess work. Delete the batch file on your USB drive and plug it into the port on the panelview. Open the Windows CE environment and navigate to your USB drive and copy the new logo file from it and paste it in the same directory as ssfloat.bmp (It does not have to have the same name, personally I always leave the AB logo in there to change it back in the future if needed). I think it resided in the Windows folder. I cannot remember off the top of my head the actual folder path but a little searching and you will find it. Then go to the control panel / display / screen saver and you have options you can tweak such as what image is displayed. Add your new logo to the list of screen saver images and select it to be displayed. Done. Easy. Beer time.

You did specify that. You didn't specify whether it was a PVP 6 600, PVP 7 600, etc. The difference is firmware/option sets. PVP 6's don't come with the Windows CE environment. 7 and above it comes standard (As far as I know).

If it has the Windows CE environment, then it is a PVP 7 or above. IMO since it is a PVP 7 using the Windows CE method IS the easier route. No guess work. Delete the batch file on your USB drive and plug it into the port on the panelview. Open the Windows CE environment and navigate to your USB drive and copy the new logo file from it and paste it in the same directory as ssfloat.bmp (It does not have to have the same name, personally I always leave the AB logo in there to change it back in the future if needed). I think it resided in the Windows folder. I cannot remember off the top of my head the actual folder path but a little searching and you will find it. Then go to the control panel / display / screen saver and you have options you can tweak such as what image is displayed. Add your new logo to the list of screen saver images and select it to be displayed. Done. Easy. Beer time.

I finally got some time to mess around with this again and as you said i was able to load the image that i wanted onto the panel via the usb stick. then i went into the CE environment and and navigated to control panel/display/screen saver and chose the image that i wanted to use as the screen saver. the issue now is that every few seconds the screen 'blinks' as if its still assuming it needs to 'float' the image around the screen. any suggestions?

I finally got some time to mess around with this again and as you said i was able to load the image that i wanted onto the panel via the usb stick. then i went into the CE environment and and navigated to control panel/display/screen saver and chose the image that i wanted to use as the screen saver. the issue now is that every few seconds the screen 'blinks' as if its still assuming it needs to 'float' the image around the screen. any suggestions?

I had the opportunity just yesterday to change the screen saver on a new PV+ 6 1000 we have here (I was wrong about the PV+ 7 /Windows CE thing. It was added for the PV+ 6's, our new one happens to be FW rev. 8). While I was looking at the possible settings for the screen saver, I did not see anything that would allow you to alter how it treats an image. I think your only option for using the built in screen saver is for a 'blinking' float. If that isn't suitable for your application, then maybe the logic route is the way to go. You can always build a simple display with the company logo in FTVS and have it triggered by a timer like you stated in your original post. If there are any other possibilities I'd love to hear them!

I had the opportunity just yesterday to change the screen saver on a new PV+ 6 1000 we have here (I was wrong about the PV+ 7 /Windows CE thing. It was added for the PV+ 6's, our new one happens to be FW rev. 8). While I was looking at the possible settings for the screen saver, I did not see anything that would allow you to alter how it treats an image. I think your only option for using the built in screen saver is for a 'blinking' float. If that isn't suitable for your application, then maybe the logic route is the way to go. You can always build a simple display with the company logo in FTVS and have it triggered by a timer like you stated in your original post. If there are any other possibilities I'd love to hear them!

since im new at this i was worried about building a screen in FTVS like stated earlier and then running into an issue with a project that say required DataSore Plus to run, im sure it could work i just wouldnt want to make it more complicated on myself.

from what i can tell in windows CE there are three different screensaver options that you can build into it, and it seems like you said the "float" option is the only one that is built into the CE that is on these panels unfortunately.