Remote 4G access

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
I will be travelling to Sante Fe on Saturday for a couple of weeks doing a start up / first commissioning.

Sadly the site has no wired internet access (but good 4g coverage) so I will taking with me a 3G e_WON for remote access.

How easy is it to buy a pre-loaded Data SIM once there which would last 12 months?

Or how easy is it to get a contract data sim with a non-usa home address?

I will be travelling to Sante Fe on Saturday for a couple of weeks doing a start up / first commissioning.

Sadly the site has no wired internet access (but good 4g coverage) so I will taking with me a 3G e_WON for remote access.

How easy is it to buy a pre-loaded Data SIM once there which would last 12 months?

Or how easy is it to get a contract data sim with a non-usa home address?

On this side of the pond cellular coverage depends of the chosen carrier; you'd need some more accurate local information as which carrier has the best 4G coverage at the site.

Then it is the radio system; some US carriers use the global GSM (Global System for Mobiles) : AT&T and T-Mobile are the most capable ones. Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular are using CDMA radio (Code Division Multiple Access). CDMA devices are not compatible with GSM networks even if allowing for roaming (using other carrier's towers) and vice-versa.

Your best approach would be to contact your current GB cellular carrier and find out what international limited duration prepaid plans they offer for the US. Your wireless card and personal mobile phone are most likely GSM devices. I am sure AT&T and T-Mobile have European carrier partnership.

I have always used my Verizon cell over on your side of the pond by prepaying for 1 month of 3GLTE service (last year Unlimited Voice and Text + 2GB Data was some $35).

I would go by Best-Buy or Wal-Mart and see what they offer. I doubt you will be able to get a contract, they usually like to run a credit check for those.

check with the operators at the site to see what carrier has the best signal. Sanata fe is a larger city so at&t and verizon should work, unless the site is far outside of town. I know in West Texas verizon has better coverage in the remote areas between towns.

I sent you a pm, I can provide the data plans if needed, month to month.

Thanks diat150, I will digest in the morning. Im staying in Santa Fe (Buffalo Thunder is a great name btw) The plant is in Albuquerque, so I will check when i get there what is best.

2 months access will do, I just have this feeling its going to be one of those pain in the *** jobs with lots of fettling involved, and 20 hours door to door is not a trip i want to do often!

internet to go from walmart. no contract. pay for the data you need. No expiration as long as you log in once every three months. It LTE and surprisingly seems to work in a lot of places as I think it uses Sprint towers.