RSLogix Emulate 500 crashing!

wanga

Hi, I've often come here for tips on solving many, many PLC related issues! I'm really grateful.

I'm currently trying to use RSLogix Emulate 500, but it keeps on crashing. I have done the steps necessary (opening HMI in emulator, making sure it's there in RSLinx, going on online with RSLogix 500) and I can go into program mode in RSLogix 500.

However, when I try to go into Run mode, the emulator instantly crashes. The error message I get is:
AppName: we032.exe AppVer: 6.0.0.7 ModName: we032.exe
ModVer: 6.0.0.7 Offset: 00083b31

Afterwards, when I try to open the emulator again, it says it can't open C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\emu500x.dll

I can't open the emulator until I've restarted the computer. Please help!

I have seen this once. I found that I could hunt down the process and stop it manually using windows task manager. That was a few years back and I don't recall the details exactly, but it avoided having to reboot.

If I recall, I prevented the issue by setting up the compatibility mode for RSLogix Emulate for Windows XP.

That problem occurred with an older version of RSLogix emulate when I first went to Windows 7.

What version of RSLogix Emulate 500 are you running? What version of Windows are you running?

I am successfully running version 6.00.00.07 on Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) without having to fiddle with any compatibility options. I do get an error when I start it about "Failed to update the system registry..." but I just hit OK and keep trucking. I don't get this seemingly benign error when I right click and "Run as Administrator".

Last edited:
Thanks for replying so quickly! The software is on a VM that has Windows XP. The software was on it when I got it, and to my understanding, other people have managed to use the emulator properly, but they're all out at the moment.

The Emulator version is 6.00.

What do you mean by compatibility mode? I'll see if I can find out what to hunt down in the task manager.

What do you mean by compatibility mode? I'll see if I can find out what to hunt down in the task manager.

I would recommend first that you simply try running it as Administrator. Since you are already running it on Windows XP.

Right click the shortcut and "Run as administrator"...

See if that helps and let us know. There is probably an A/B Knowledge-base article we could hunt for to go further if necessary.

Hmm, it still says "Can't load C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\EMU500X.DLL from RSLinx Classic Directory".

I've tried to create a user at the Rockwell Knowledge Base, but it says my credentials aren't right for some reason...and when I try to get in contact with someone at Rockwell, it tells me to sign in. Haha