Intouch Runtime Transfer

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm upgrading a panel mounted PC in the field. I'm going to install InTouch runtime and just copy and paste the LIC files from the old PC..

Is that it? Do I need to do anything else to validate the license being transferred to a new node?

There were, at some point (and may still be), touchscreen panel PCs sold through Wonderware that included a discounted license that only worked on that model of touchscreen. Perhaps not likely in your case but something to be aware of. The name Kontron comes to mind

Last edited:
I would not "copy and paste" license files.
Use the license utility....then Intouch will be notified of the license change.
If you use the license utility, you can name your license files to something you know.
ie...rename Archestra.lic to "Equipment Number"-RT-ArchestrA.lic.

When you use the license utility and point to "Equipment Number"-RT-ArchestrA.lic..... The License Utility will correctly rename the license to ArchestrA.lic and put it in the correct directory.

I would. There's no harm in doing so, so long as you place the files in the correct location.

I use to do that all the time...till I discovered how well the license utility handles file names and I could name my licenses to something that made them easier to identify.
Wonderware TS also will tell you that "copy and pasting" of the license files is not recommended.

I use to do that all the time...till I discovered how well the license utility handles file names and I could name my licenses to something that made them easier to identify.
Wonderware TS also will tell you that "copy and pasting" of the license files is not recommended.

It's not recommended because they don't want it to become too obvious that there is really no need for a "license utility". The licenses are simply files.

Thank God they got rid of those stupid dongles! Still, I'm surprised that they've never implemented a more rigorous licensing scheme.

It's not recommended because they don't want it to become too obvious that there is really no need for a "license utility". The licenses are simply files.

BUT...the license utility will rename the license file and put it in the correct directory automatically.

Thank God they got rid of those stupid dongles! Still, I'm surprised that they've never implemented a more rigorous licensing scheme.

No kidding...I got very tired of leaving my dongle at customers sites.
And I really do not understand that Wonderware claims the license file was more secure than the dongle??
I guess someone came out with a hack for the dongle...

I have seen a lot of misuse (duplicate uses) of the license file.

BUT...the license utility will rename the license file and put it in the correct directory automatically.

No kidding...I got very tired of leaving my dongle at customers sites.
And I really do not understand that Wonderware claims the license file was more secure than the dongle??
I guess someone came out with a hack for the dongle...

I have seen a lot of misuse (duplicate uses) of the license file.

I'm pretty sure they got rid of the dongles due to ticked off end users whose plants were shut down by a failed piece of hardware that did nothing useful for them prior to failing.

Thanks for the input.

I ended up copying the existing lic files and putting them in the designated folder on the new Panel PC

Oh, the original panel PC was a Wonderware Panel PC directly from them, the new Panel PC was not. So there wasn't any issue with the license being locked into that certain panel pc like someone above thought.

Oh, the original panel PC was a Wonderware Panel PC directly from them, the new Panel PC was not. So there wasn't any issue with the license being locked into that certain panel pc like someone above thought.

That's good news! It may have been limited to Kontron Panel PC's which a company I worked for used extensively in the early 2000's and I worked there when we replaced tons of them. From this manual

In addition, the Panel PC was also delivered with a software license for the Wonderware products, pre-installed. You may want to make and keep a backup copy of this file. It will only work on the Panel PC it was delivered on. In the event you have inadvertently deleted the file, contact your Tech Support provider for a replacement copy.

The idea was you got a cheap (maybe 1/2 price?) "lifetime" license good for that hardware only.

Last edited: