Powerflex 525 DC Bus Precharge

Rippey574

Can any one confirm if the DC bus on the drive will handle the precharging of additional caps if put on the DC link?

I have been scouring the manuals and have not been able to find any thing saying the precharge can or can not handle a large capacitive network on the DC link terminals. I have the Rockwell Automation Publication DRIVES-AT002F-EN-P but no real info on limitations.

Basic overview of what I am trying to do...
I want the drive to precharge a 27.6MF (milly not micro) capacitor bank. And to not just slam load on to charge it. Intended for additional run on, rapid acceleration, and regeneration absorption.

Some additional information on the drive:
230V 3 phase, 1HP drive. 25B-B5P0N104

There are no specs on any possible additional capacity for the DC bus on something like a PF525, but as a general rule, "component class" drive like that are built to be as close to the bone as possible, so I would not think there would be.

Adding caps doesn't really add any appreciable ride through or power absorption capability. If it did, you would get that by simply over sizing a drive. Even if you did add enough caps to make a difference, the most you can hope for is maybe 2 seconds. Bonitron makes a Bus Regulator that would do that, but with only caps, it provides 2 seconds. If you want longer, you go with the version that has batteries too. But you really have to want it, they are not cheap (plus the smallest they have is 20A). their unit has it's own pre-charge circuit by the way.

Another option if you are wanting a second or two would be to add a Rockwell DySC unit ahead of the drive on the AC input. Wouldn't do anything for extending the regen capability, but that should be done with a brake resistor anyway.

As for extra acceleration capability, you are limited by the transistor size regardless of the storage capability. So again, you could just buy a larger drive if that's what you want to do.