PanelView 1400 replacement?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have several PanelView 1400's communicating to SLC's via RIO. These are CRT unit's and usually only last about 3 years. I've been having them repaired, but sooner or later, they are going to have to be replaced. One just died about 30 minutes ago.

The PanelViewPlus 1500 is supposed to be a drop in replacement size wise, but I would have to purchase new software, and I've read a lot of bad things about the PV+ line. I also do not know if the RIO option is available for the PV+ line.

On to the question, what have you guys been doing in similar situations. What's a good replacement for the 1400. Doesn't have to be an AB product, but a RIO interface would be nice. If no else supports RIO, then I could use a DH+ unit, since the SLC's are 5/04's.

I know the RIO units are a pain in the a**, but it's already installed and running, and would not require any re-wiring.

thanks,

Ken

I was just wondering how big is the panelmate you are replaceing and how much money your willing to spend?

I did alot of HMI work for a project and we used VersaView screen and they are RIO and DH+ supported.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but if you wanna look at the versaview i'm sure i can dig up the manual for them. We used 15" ones.

I've only ever used Versaview as replacements in your situation, found no issues going this route either. Maybe someone else has another experience to share?

Just my 2c worth.

PanelMate Power Pro. These units are excellent and support DH+ and RIO with a piggy-back card which means you could later switch to DH+ without having to buy anything, and stock just one device to handle both applications. The programming software is extremely easy to use. You can use expressions containing logic in your display and data entry fields which can eliminate ladder logic. (The first machines I worked with using PanelMates had zero PLC logic for the HMI!)

The prices are comaprable to A/B, but I love them. I used nothing else for two years, then changed departments and had to learn PanelBuilder. I tell, Cutler Hammer had me spoiled! I have gotten accustomed to PanelBuilder, but if it were my choice, I'd never use an A/B HMI porduct.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid=985967794683&Sec=products

You can import PanelBuilder 1400e and PanelBuilder32 projects into RSView Studio ME for use in the PanelView Plus. About 70-80% of the objects translate directly and the rest requires some cleanup effort.

The PV+ has a 2711P-RN6 module that supports DH+, DH485, and RIO.

There were several glitches that I went through in my first few RIO terminal conversions, but I recently went back to do another one and found the updated versions of the technotes I relied on said "fixed in version 3.1".

The RIO conversion isn't as straightforward as DH+ or ControlNet communications, but it does work.

One of my coworkers had to do a 1400e RIO to PV+ conversion and had huge problems due to RSViewME not supporting the PanelBuilder concept of an analogue tag made up of a few contiguous bits in a PLC/SLC word. Whenever such tags were used in pushbuttons it could be fairly easily worked around but in multistates it was a real pain involving bitshifting. I think he found a document on the AB Knowledgebase to guide him through it; you may want to check.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I will look into the VersaView. I looked on the AB website yesterday, and the software isn't too expensive, and the hardware list price is lower than the panelviews were. I think I'll give my AB salesman a call and see if I can get a demo unit to look at for a couple of days.

ken