Rack mount an Rx3i

Ozpeter

I have an Rx3i system on a 7-slot universal backplane that I want to recess mount in a 19" rack.

At first glance the GE IC693ACC313 Recessed Mount Adapter Bracket is exactly what I want. But in the PACSystems RX3i System Manual, it says about this particular part (my emphasis):

The IC693ACC313 Recessed Mount Adapter Bracket can be used to recess-mount a 10-Slot Expansion Backplane (IC694CHS392) inside a 19” rack. This bracket cannot be used with a Universal Backplane.

Does anyone know what the reason for this limitation is? Is it just that the ACC313 doesn't have screw holes pre-drilled at the required locations? Or is it something that I am totally missing?

Finally, normally I would feign shock at the price of GE parts, but I can get this on eBay for about $50. However if anyone can suggest a cheaper alternative I'd love to hear about it :D

It looks like the only issue is dimensions and the predrilled holes. The ten slot backplane is 16.85" wide on center (same as predrilled holes on rackmount adapter), whereas the universal is 9.84" wide on center at the mounting holes. Both are 3.54" high. Looks like if you own a drill bit you can break the "rules".

edit: The 4" dimension for the rack mount holes seemed a little odd. 1 rack unit is 1.75" and the IC693ACC313 has holes at 4". that would be something like 2.25 RU. Granted the holes of 1RU are really 1.25 on center, even then to me that adds up to 4.375 or 3.75, no in between.

Last edited:
The expansion racks are 10-slot and are smaller than a 12-slot universal backplane.

The acc313 is meant for a 10-slot expansion.
I don't see why you could not use it for a 7-slot baseplate. You would have to drill holes.

Looks like if you own a drill bit you can break the "rules".
That's what confused me. The solution couldn't be that obvious. As it raises the question as to why GE didn't pre-drill the part for its standard racks.

Obviously there has to be some sort of issue that will cause my control system to fail and kick my cat.

Sure, those holes will interfere with the Feng shui of the control system. You'll need to balance the negative energy waves with special GE brand dampening rocks.

That's what confused me. The solution couldn't be that obvious. As it raises the question as to why GE didn't pre-drill the part for its standard racks.

Obviously there has to be some sort of issue that will cause my control system to fail and kick my cat.

Only thing i can think of that would be a problem is if the rack isn't grounded properly, but then that would be a problem in both a 10-slot and a universal backplane

Sure, those holes will interfere with the Feng shui of the control system. You'll need to balance the negative energy waves with special GE brand dampening rocks.

my professional recommendation would be to put an amethyst crystal in the southwest corner of the rack and burn some sage in the north eastern corner of the rack. I can source the rackmount options for both, at a cost of course.

my professional recommendation would be to put an amethyst crystal in the southwest corner of the rack and burn some sage in the north eastern corner of the rack. I can source the rackmount options for both, at a cost of course.

The rack in question will change position depending on when I wish to re-arrange my office. Can you provide a quote for a solution in which the orientation of corners of the rack are not fixed?

In looking more closely at the GE part, there is a flange at the top of the ACC313 that may impinge on the rack. But I have no experience with it.