Why the OPC UA path in Factory Talk can't contain more than 3 elements?

Yashka

Hi to All!

I'm using Factory Talk Studio Enterprise V10, FT Services V3.0, KepServerEX 6.8. I'm always getting no data if the OPC UA path in Factory Talk contains more than 3 elements. Any other OPC UA Clients are working fine.

Could anyone help me to sort out with the strange behavior of Factory Talk OPC Connector?

FT_OPC_ERROR.png

Hi to All!

I'm using Factory Talk Studio Enterprise V10, FT Services V3.0, KepServerEX 6.8. I'm always getting no data if the OPC UA path in Factory Talk contains more than 3 elements. Any other OPC UA Clients are working fine.

Could anyone help me to sort out with the strange behavior of Factory Talk OPC Connector?

I have no UA experience, so take this with a grain of salt

... is your 'test' a set of local tags? I have had problems with OPC not wanting to read local tags. I'm told there is a work-around for that, but I just ended up making the tags Global and it worked.

I have no UA experience, so take this with a grain of salt

... is your 'test' a set of local tags? I have had problems with OPC not wanting to read local tags. I'm told there is a work-around for that, but I just ended up making the tags Global and it worked.
No, the "test" is just the group. For example, when you are using AB ControlLogix it may be the name of a program that contains tags. The idea to make all tags on the 3td level is not original, currently, we've done it already as soon as faced up with this issue. But every node in OPC UA contains set of special groups that contain server related tags like _System.Error, etc. And all of these tags are located on the 4th level and we can't move ones anywhere.

Will Kepware's alias map help? This can provide a short alias to the first 2 layers of your paths.

Nice idea! Thanks! I've read appropriate sections in the Kepware manual but I don't understand how it uses from client-side. I made alias (see attachment) but I can't see one even in Quick Client :(

alias.png

Yashka, what is the error for the OPCUA node (the tags you are trying to read) that the OPC Client reports? OPCUA specification has very specific error responses. Using any free OPCUA client such as Softing's or Unified Automation's will provide you a screen where you can get the error. If you let me know this error I might be able to help you crack this problem. Good luck.

Yashka, what is the error for the OPCUA node (the tags you are trying to read) that the OPC Client reports? OPCUA specification has very specific error responses. Using any free OPCUA client such as Softing's or Unified Automation's will provide you a screen where you can get the error. If you let me know this error I might be able to help you crack this problem. Good luck.
Thanks for your help, but I've already resolved this issue together with AB guys. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1089037