Help converting .mer

rrparker07

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hope someone is really bored this late on Memorial day!!! I have spent the last 5 hours researching this and trying everything I could find on the forum. I have an .mer file that was running on a PV plus with Controlnet that died. No Cnet PVs in house. I have a spare slot and am trying to go Ethernet to a PV 7 standard FW 9.0. Upon trying to restore and convert the project, I got the "older version can't restore" message. I tried on both a Windows 7 running studio 8.0 and windows 10 with 10.0. I downloaded the 7-Zip program and was able to extract the files from the runtime. I moved them as described in other posts but am having no luck. Not sure if its because it was encrypted or done on a 32 bit machine.

If someone could take a stab at this I would greatly appreciate it. If I could just get the displays and tags, I can take care of alarms and comms.

I tried with FTVME v11 running on Windows 10 and got the same error. It says it's version 4.0.

I'm not familiar with all of the nuances of which versions of FT can open the older files, but do you have a 32-bit machine you can try it on?

I tried with FTVME v11 running on Windows 10 and got the same error. It says it's version 4.0.

I'm not familiar with all of the nuances of which versions of FT can open the older files, but do you have a 32-bit machine you can try it on?

Thanks for trying! I do have an old xp desktop at work that I think is 32 bit. I'll have to install an earlier version of studio. I'll try that tomorrow.

No problem. This could be tricky because as I recall, the older versions of FT can't restore a .mer at all. Hopefully there is a sweet spot of a version that will work for you! Best of luck.

Hi,

Please see the attached. Mind you, you will need version 11 to open it - sorry, that is the version that I am using.

If you cannot open it (restore), then let me know - I may be able to create a runtime version at a different version and then you could restore that..

If you have a TechConnect contract, then have a look at https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/8913 - this is what I followed to restore your project

Thanks so much Ian! Unfortunately, my V10 won't do the restore. If it wouldn't be to much to ask for a V10 runtime I should definitely be able to restore it from that.

Thanks again for your help!

Compiled with issues

Hi,

Please find a version 10 MER file in the Zip file.
It was compiled with some errors
- Alarms are not there - I put in a dummy alarm so it could compile
- Global Object "Menu" is not there.

See how you go with it

Cheers

Thank you so much

🍺🍺🍺
If I ever make it Down Under.....I owe you a cold one. After installing the patches in the technote you referenced, I was able to get the tags graphics but no text (I just had question marks). I've been plugging away all day editing screens vs. the 5 minutes to restore after seeing your replay.

PS: Trying to determine what the text is on a 15 state indicator is no fun!!!

For future reference..

The question marks refer to the language setting being incorrect..

When I first restored it, I restored it using "English - Australian"
This of course didn't work.

I then tried restoring it using "English - US" - this also didn't work.
The winner was "English - UK", hence why it is called L1_Post_3