Multiple Running projects in the Factory Talk Network Directory, Anyone tried this?

RSL

I would like to have more than one running project in my network directory. It would be significantly easier to manage them this way. This is not currently "supported".

I have read a lot and not found anything other than it is not supported. Which can mean anything form not tested to tested and does not work.

I have heard that it is something they want to support and are targeting.

Does anyone have any real world experience with this? If I can't find anyone that has tried it and failed, I will try it myself.

RSL

We wondered the same thing with version 4 when we were running "redundant" server client systems.

I think my buddy tried to create a 2nd Area (and data server IIRC?) against all recommendations in a test situation, but I don't recall what was the result. I will ask him tomorrow.

I should probably clarify a little.

This will be on Version 6.1 CPR9 SR4. We want multiple applications inside the directory. The facility will have at least 3 Distributed FTView systems as well as AssetCentre and Vantage Point. All on multiple Server 2008R2 VM's in VCenter for hardware redundancy. We are also going to use Terminal Services for the Clients.

We are observing all of the design recommendations for the various services to be deployed. Multiple FT Directories offers no benefit at all. (unless it is the only way it will work!)

This is a big software job, I have some time to do the testing.

RSL