PLC-2 project given a go. OH NO!

Thankx guys. I have contacted several vendors that make PLC-2 software and all said that they are DOS based. I convinced teh guy at my job that we should at this point look at the programming involved to see if its something we can even tackle or if it is possiable to go with a SLC 500 instead? This is a win win for me because I can get some experience with PLC-2 PLC-5 type programing and then get into a conversion project and get experience in RS LOGIX 500,which I really need anyways for my future. And we agreed worse cause is we purchase the parts needed for the upgrade and get some experience and fail and they hire a contrator to just have to program a portion of it or all. It will still be cheaper than letting them include all of the hardware and software at their price vs ours.

But where we are at is I got some demo software to try out but Im having issue with installing it. If we decide to go the PLC-2 route we will buy the software and cable package for one of the vendors. BUt for now we want to experiment with the PLC-2 programming language to se if its feasible for us to pull off. So I got some demo software to try out but Im having issue with installing it.

Im on Vista 32 bit.

Anyways I am using Winimage to open the files and I got to the setup.exe to open.

During installation it asks to enter the drive SETUP will be installing from. And it says SETUP was started from drive C,which I assume is because that is where Winimage is install(which does have a virtual floppy service but Im not familiar with how to use or if I physically have to create a volume on my C: drive as a floppy drive).

So is this the drive SETUP will be installing from or do I need to create a actual virtual floppy drive via WinImage to use for this?Im asking because I tried to use Drive C and this is what happens.

Next page asks for the destination path as where to install the files to and it has a default of C:\PLC2\ which I use. It then says insert "Setup Disk" into drive C:. Which I assume is going to take it from WinImage because it didnt ask for a folder path previously it just said to select the drive the SETUP will be installing FROM. So it should scan the whole drive and find it.

So when it says insert Setup Disk into drive C: I hit enter and I get the following error:
"Disk has no volume label!"

What am I doing wrong?

What exact software product did you get a demo copy of ?

It's a basic tenet of operating system evolution that DOS programs aren't necessarily going to just run when you try to execute them in Windows. You might require a Virtual Machine.

Describe *in detail* what software you got, who you got it from, and what format it was delivered in.

So when it says insert Setup Disk into drive C: I hit enter and I get the following error:
"Disk has no volume label!"
The old PLC2 DOS program installed from floppy disks. Each disk had a different Volume Number so the PLC2 Install program could tell when the correct disk was in the floppy drive. Past experience with trying to simulate a floppy drive says you will have to have some way to give it a volume number at the correct time. One way is to edit the install BAT (batch file) and change the volume number to your C: directory path.

one way is to edit the install bat (batch file) and change the volume number to your c: Directory path.
would downloading the trial ver. To a usb stick work?

The old PLC2 installation program is still going to look for a floppy drive (even though one may not exist). Until a way is found past that problem, the install program will stop in its tracks unless it is actually installed from a floppy drive.

I don't remember which PLC2 software i had at my old job (luckly i never had to use it), but i remember it wouldn't run in Windows XP. I installed it in DOSBox and it worked fine. Give that a shot if you have problems getting the software to run.

As you can see from this Apendix A, Figure A.1 from the PLC2 Program & Operations Manual, PLC2 addressing is separated by a "/", not a ".". If your program has a dot, it may have been converted to a PLC5 program at some time.

PLC2 Addressing.jpg

As you can see from this Apendix A, Figure A.1 from the PLC2 Program & Operations Manual, PLC2 addressing is separated by a "/", not a ".". If your program has a dot, it may have been converted to a PLC5 program at some time.
PLC5 language will run on a PLC-2? Also is it all vertically programed? In other words there doesnt appear to be subroutines.

I don't remember which PLC2 software i had at my old job (luckly i never had to use it), but i remember it wouldn't run in Windows XP. I installed it in DOSBox and it worked fine. Give that a shot if you have problems getting the software to run.
How exactly does DOS BOX work and is it freeware? I found it and it appeared to be free but it wont install on my PC.

How does DOSBox work?