PLC-2 project given a go. OH NO!

Is there anything like this for Rs LOGIX 500 or RS LOGIX 5000, thats free or cheap?

It's called "Windows". But it's not free or cheap.

It usually comes with the PC when you buy it.

PLC5 language will run on a PLC-2?
No, why did you think that? Many old PLC2s have been converted to PLC5s because there is still some support for the PLC5 (it lasted longer anyway). The PLC5 modules would fit into the old PLC2 rack, so conversion was pretty simple. All I said was that your PLC2 program may have been converted to a PLC5 program and printed out that way at some point. You may in fact not have a copy of a PLC2 program.

No, why did you think that? Many old PLC2s have been converted to PLC5s because there is still some support for the PLC5 (it lasted longer anyway). The PLC5 modules would fit into the old PLC2 rack, so conversion was pretty simple. All I said was that your PLC2 program may have been converted to a PLC5 program and printed out that way at some point. You may in fact not have a copy of a PLC2 program.
Why would someone convert it to PLC 5 and print it out if its still a PLC-2? So basically I may not even have the program for this machine. If this is actually the PLC-2 program converted to PLC-5 and we replace the PLC-2 with a PLC-5 whats involved in the swap? Just setting dip switches on the hardware and setting the software settings for the different processor? Or is it more involved?

RS LOGIX 5 looks nice and drag and drop like RS LOGIX 500. I would just have to replace the processor, since the program is in PLC-5 language already anyways its should be a straight fowaard switch,No?

If I were to convince them to go with a SLC or Rack version of a MICROLOGIX instead and get RS LOGIX 500 Can I go with RS LOGIX 500 Starter for $585.00 (Not the free version which I beleive is Lite)? And do I need to purchase RS Linx seperate or would the free version work here?

You could go with RSLogix 500 Starter Edition (9324-RL0100ENE), however, you will not have Online editing capabilities.
RSLinx Classic Lite is included and it will do.

Why would someone convert it to PLC 5 and print it out if its still a PLC-2?
I don't know for sure, and can only make a guess based on past experiences. So what if the previous owner had the old PLC2, with its loaded program, but had lost the print-out. He contacted the company that wrote the program and asked if they had a copy of the print-out for that program. The programmer said, "no, because we converted all our old PLC2 programs to PLC5, and we no longer have a computer that will load the PLC2 program and cannot print it out. We do have the PLC5 version, which is similar but will not run on your PLC2 without changes."

Last edited:
Use the 1771 rack, but replace the processor with a ControlNet adapter and add either a 1769 or 1756 processor rack with ControlNet. You will save the equipment dollars just in your time to program and maintain this beast.

Pretty cool Idea. This is just so you dont have to rewire the inputs and Outputs?
But after doing the cost math when you add up all the hardware,modules,cables ect. It would be much more cost effective to just by a used SLC rack system or even a Control Logix sytem and re wire it to the same terminals.

What do you mean when you say,"replace the processor with a ControlNet adapter"? Control net is not a proccessor. You mean use a Control Logix processor? Why would I need Control net unless I plan on doing networking. This place isnt that big. We have only have 5 PLC machines and 2 are PLC-2.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject I never quite understood the differences,pros vs cons between Control Net,Ethernet and Devicenet. Can anyone speak on this I know its off subject but looking into a Control Logix on Ebay I found one with all three installed. Why?

Perhaps best for a new thread.

Last edited:
You could go with RSLogix 500 Starter Edition (9324-RL0100ENE), however, you will not have Online editing capabilities.
RSLinx Classic Lite is included and it will do.

This is different than the free version right? I could of sworn RS LOGIX 500 starter is what the free version was called?

What platforms will this work with and could you give an example where online editing is a must?

I don't know for sure, and can only make a guess based on past experiences. So what if the previous owner had the old PLC2, with its loaded program, but had lost the print-out. He contacted the company that wrote the program and asked if they had a copy of the print-out for that program. The programmer said, "no, because we converted all our old PLC2 programs to PLC5, and we no longer have a computer that will load the PLC2 program and cannot print it out. We do have the PLC5 version, which is similar but will not run on your PLC2 without changes."
Got you. Damn I wish RS Logix 500 could be use with PLC-5. Then I could get RS LOgix 500 and covers all basis here and convert to PLC-5 for this machine. Anyone know anyone who makes 3rd party(Drag and Drop like RS Logix 5) for PLC-5 thats not at AB prices?

Does AB 6200 or A.I. work for PLC-2 and PLC-5. Whats the difference between the 2 versions?

Hey guys here is all the specs as requested.

Rack 1771-A2B,Processor ia Mini PLC-2/15 1772-LV(Which intrestingly enough I found CAN take a 1772-AF1 EEPROM whenPLC-2s were not supposed to offer EEPROM Backup) Although it does say it can only be use with the T3 Terminal,but Im sure thats because it was the 80s. Anyways the I/O modules are 1771-IAD ans 1771-OAD.

The Chasiss dip switches are set as follows:

1-Last State switch = Off
2- Processor Restart Lockout = On
3 and 4. Manual syas should always be OFF,but they are on and it does say what they are.
5- Addressing =On(Which means 1-slot addressing which makes things easier I assume)
6 and 7 again manuals says should always be off but they are on. No description in manual.
8- Last Chasiss switch= On.

Now #8 raises question because the manual says," If you have only a primary chasis set this switch to "OFF". Now this cutter used to have a Decoiler used in conjuction with it(which I assume had a seperate PLC). But either way if this switch is set to "ON" even when its the only primary chasis will it prevent the PLC from runnning the Program?

And finally the manual says the Mini PLC-2/15 uses rs 232 c so would a USB to RS 232 converter work here?

And I have scanned the PLC Program to .PDF but this sites limitations wont allow me to post it. HOw do I get it on here?

Get a DropBox account and post it there; I put stuff in my Public dropbox all the time.

The fact that it's a 1771-A2B chassis is good; those could be refitted with 1771-ASB or 1771-ACNR adapters, or with PLC-5 controllers.

Check the power supply part number too, and the I/O modules.

That port on the PLC-2/15 isn't RS-232. It's a current-loop serial port, something specific to the PLC-2. The most modern interface for it is the 1784-PCMK with 1784-PCM2 cable, or what was called a "Smart Cable" for the AI-2 software. Most third party programs have gone the "Smart Cable" converter route, as you may have found from your research.

There was a PLC-2 to RS-232 converter module that was slot-mounted, too... I don't remember the name. But it definitely didn't have an RS-232 port on the controller itself.